Double Slip

Hi ,was wondering if there is anything special about wiring a double slip other than feed & return to centre.Does the whole point have to be isolated

many thanks

djp

Reply to
David Pattern

Insulated crossing Vee (frog) or not ?

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Nothing special, wire it exactly the same as two turnouts installed toe to toe. Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

It is an Insulfrog turnout

Reply to
David Pattern

While people are paying attention, anyone know what the minimum prototype crossing angle could be? The smaller it becomes the less room for the V rails for the through routes. Am in the process of trying my first double slip in coarse O gauge and in my case a 1 in 5 seems to be the limit.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Ken,

I think I remember that 1:6 was the minimum crossing angle for slips on UK track, but you might have found tighter angles in industrial sidings. The maximum angle with normal 'K' crossings was normally

1:8 since they became difficult to check adequately at larger angles - you had to move on to switched diamonds for larger angles.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

angles -

Hm, not sure if I'd like to sample the ride quality when changing routes on a switched diamond ! :~)

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

In message , ":::Jerry::::" writes

Why not? There are dozens of them between Charing Cross and New Cross, where there are loads of high-speed crossovers from the Cannon Street lines to the Charing Cross lines and vice-versa. The ride across any route of the double slip is certainly no worse than that over the points at either end of the crossover.

Incidentally, all the moving K crossings of these double slips (and also the switch diamonds) appear to have had a liberal application of whitewash, maybe to warn engineering workers at nighttime that these double slips are different than the ordinary ones.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

industrial

normally

Cross,

Street

Err, would you like to change *routes* when crossing over a diamond crossing (or switched diamond), to do so would meant that something has gone drastically wrong.....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

In message , ":::Jerry::::" writes

Sorry, I misread the original post. You can't change routes across a switched diamond unless the thing is broken, in which case you shouldn't be travelling over it in the first place.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Thanks for the responses, filed away.

Ken.