Seems a bit excessive...

airfix 4F code3 for £120 or am I misunderstanding something ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

All their railway items seem very expensive and they don't seem to sell much if you check their completed listings.

guku

Reply to
Gukumatz

Hey, I've got a pair of weathered and renumbered Airfix's for sale You can have the pair for Cartmel's price! I wouldn't pay thatr much even for a well built Wills kit, never mind a tender drive version. I expected prices to shade a bit as this recession bites, but clearly this news hasn't reached the outer fringes of our galaxy. Ebay does seem to bring out the worst in some sellers (and buyers too) with optimistic pricing followed by idiotic bidding.

Alistair

Reply to
Alistair Wright

Have a look at N gauge prices and wince!

Regards Peter

Reply to
Sailor

"simon" wrote

Non-standard, modified item, so it's worth what someone's prepared to pay for it. Personally I wouldn't give the seller £40 for it, but there you go.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Yes agree thats its value but found it difficult to see why it could be so high. Wonder if there are any other hobbies where someone takes a standard item, modifies it so its slightly different - although not better as in eg performance - and adds significantly to the price. I know TMC do it and most of their changes may be considered useful, but renumber a 4F ? arent there people that will do such a change for lot less cost ?

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

All their railway items seem very expensive and they don't seem to sell much if you check their completed listings.

guku

perhaps theyre using the same business method as some amazon marketplace sellers. Out of print book - original publisher price say 12 GBP, someone wanting to sell 10GBP, someone trying it on - anything up to 140GBP.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote

Maybe wishful thinking?

I've sold extremely well-modified items for significantly more than the non-modified 'new price', but this 4F looks to be nothing more than a quick job, and is probably worth little more than the unmodified loco. Someone will probably prove me wrong though.

A mint/boxed unmodified Airfix 4F is probably worth around £30-35.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Thats good to know, I bought a tatty box one for £22 to convert to loco drive - seemed better value than taking a good Hornby version - esp as using an updated Bachmann tender.

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I've seen that, and I don't understand that business model! There's a particular book I'm after, for which maybe £20 - £30 would be reasonable on the second-hand circuit, but on Amazon they start at £240. I can only think they don't actually have the book so they don't want people to buy from that listing, but the seller gets a higher exposure.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

I've found some strange pricing in Oxfam book shops.

I found a copy of Landscape Modelling by Barry Norman priced at nearly double the cover price. I was pretty certain I could still get a mint copy at the cover price from at least one retailer or cheaper on Ebay for a second hand copy. I explained this and got it for =A32.99, but felt guilty at haggling in Oxfam and put an extra =A31 in the collecting tin on the counter.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I'm afraid I suspect its more likely they hope to catch the unwary. Wanted the Art of weathering a few weeks back, there was a copy at reasonable price and one at excessive price (£40). Prevaricated and the lower price one went. Waited a few weeks and another low price one came along - the expensive one was still there.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Procrastinated, I think you mean. To prevaricate is to be evasive!

Reply to
MartinS

If SWMBO gets wind of spending =A340 on a book, maybe prevaricating is the correct strategy!

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

If SWMBO gets wind of spending £40 on a book, maybe prevaricating is the correct strategy!

MBQ

youre not kidding, one arrived today (only £10 though), she let me know it had arrived with the comment 'Whats it about this time ?'. Thought she would be interested as its local history (melbourne military railway), but no...back to cash only transactions for a while.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"Gukumatz" wrote

LOL - just check out their completed listings now; they seem to have found some customers with more money than sense.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Make £2 profit on a book selling at a tenner or so, or make £230 profit on the same book. You don't need many mugs.

Reply to
Paul Matthews

Duping people seems a sad way to make a living.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Dunno, I have bought some bargains used from Amazon sellers but like eBay you have to know in advance what you are buying and what it's worth.

Which reminds me: I have five volumes of Gunther's Early Science in Oxford, previously owned by Margaret 'Espinasse. I must get them valued for insurance.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

There are lots of sad people. Some of them advertise on TV.

Reply to
MartinS