Fowler 4F prototype

The funnel carried by most Fowler 4F's and most of the wide range of

2P and 4P 4-4-0's was of the type shown in the photo:
Can someone give me the correct designer name of this funnel as I would rather avoid buying yet another example of the "Fowler" funnel which is more at home on the S&D or the early patriot class.

Regards

Reply to
Peter Abraham

This is the 'Stanier' chimney. AFAIK Alan Gibson can supply one. Beware, some 4Fs got a BR chimney late in life. You need a photo of your chosen loco and a date to get it right.

Alistair Wright LMS Society

Reply to
Alistair Wright

Must confess after 10 mins comparing fowler vs stanier chimneys in Brian Harescapes book find it difficult to be certain in a photo at that angle. Not so sure about the suggestion of which chimney was common on the 4f's. Until Stanier came along they were all Fowler ones and presumably not replaced till general overhall. BH also implies many Scottish ones still hadnt been replaced in late 50's. Alistair is certainly correct that you need a photo !

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Thanks Alistair, would you say that the Jubilee or the Stanier 3MT tank was the most appropriate - they being the Gibson choice.

Regards

Reply to
Peter Abraham

"Peter Abraham" wrote

Ships have funnels, steam locomotives have chimneys.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

My reason for wanting to change my 4F & 2P to the Stanier form of CHIMNEY is that I have never seen an example of either loco which sported a Fowler tifter ( that covered the area from Highbridge Som. to Rotherham Yorks and later the entire West Coast to Fort William). The only Fowler examplaires were mounted on the very rare Patriot which came down to Mecca on the pigeon trains or the ubiquitous Crabs. My only fotos of either with the original chimney ( it was always a funnel to us Flamond - Phillistines , are of pre WWII locos with one exception. The example which I posted is a loco of ,and at, Bristol Barrow Road where I remember it from 1945 until the date of the foto.I cannot think why Hornby produced such a thing when Lima got it right.

We did have the "funnel" angst in the navy as some 8 ships were built in the middle to late 50's which were propelled by 8 x V16 Engines ( similar in power and design to the later Paxman Ventura et al but known as the EE Admiralty MKI)) and had 4 x 8 cyl straights for generation. Did they have exhaust pipes or funnels? They certainly were not in evidence as they were carried up through the centres of the two masts giving a funnelless profile. We had regular events of chimney cleaning as they were possibly the dirtiest exhausts ever and produced a continuous stream of soggy black snowflakes.

Reply to
Peter Abraham

Looking at Essery and Jenkinson V4 Illustrated History of LMS Locos they say after the start of BR ownership the gradual replacement of original boiler fittings continued. So once again it comes down to the loco of your choice at the time of your interest. although of course its your loco so you choose what you prefer and only a member of the esteemed rivet counters will quibble. as for not seeing an example in that wide area of interest, well there werer nearly 800 spread around.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Well it looks as if the literary rail folk had a concentrated source of Fowler chimneys stashed away -- probably in deepest Lancs -- they were the least likely to be seen by us whereas Yorkshire provided plenty of visitors. In any case I thought then and now, that they were rather ugly and only seemed to fit right when mounted on a Crab. The oriface d'échappement mounted on the parallel boiler Patriots and Scots seemed to be a parody of a Lancashire club comedians hat! The Stanier ( may the gods bless the GW influence) fittings were far more elegant if not always effective.

Reply to
Peter Abraham

Are well thats different - if you dont like it then change away.

Reply to
simon