Hate Ebay then try Ebid

This site appears to have more reasonable prices eg

What do you think ?

Reply to
Dragon Heart

seems like a good site - thx !!

far-lands

Dragon Heart schrieb:

Reply to
me

"Dragon Heart" wrote

On the face of it, it seems attractive but I don't think I would list items for sale there for the simple reason that it doesn't seem to get a fraction of the hits that eBay achieves and does it attract bidders from overseas.

eBay may be creating loads of antagonism amongst its sellers, but it still does the business to a greater extent than any of its competitors. Even Hornby tried to get in on the on-line auction action a couple of years ago, and despite all their muscle and financial backing they failed - abysmally!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

We've just had a missive through the post from eBay, and they are modifying their model for shops - guess what, it's just like eBid it seems - the full details will be interesting. That fact that they felt the need for a mail shot at all speaks volumes about how the competition is faring!

Sadly eBay are floundering about, doing anything but go back to their roots, which is what they really need to do. I contemplated using eBay for a new venture I'm working on as it would be the logical way to go, but their pricing structure is so complex I can only believe they do that to hide the true cost. Add on to that being forced to use PayPal, when I already have much cheaper card processing facilities available, and it's a no go.

Having looked at competition for the new venture on eBay I've noticed two things - most of them have stopped using eBay to a large extent if not completely, and some of those still there selling the same products working on margins of 50p on a £25 item (worked out from a "test" sale), which is infact a loss when overheads are taken into account. I presume they are either dumping excess stock, or are in for a very nasty surprise at End-Of-Year!

On the plus side, a lot of "shops" that were not proper businesses have disappeared, which is good for those of us who have to pay NI, Corporation Tax etc.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

"beamendsltd" wrote

Can't disagree with any of that. Over the years I've done a fair bit of business on eBay (not a colossal amount, but enough to pay them a fair chunk in fees every month) but it's now pointless to try selling anything with a low margin, because the cost of selling is too high.

I now limit myself to selling good quality used items which have been bought cheaply, or stuff that's been sitting around for a long time and is better turned into cash.

At one time I thought it might be a useful vehicle for a 'post-retirement' business, but it's just not worthwhile anymore. I wonder just how much business they've lost because of their greedy and unclear fee structure.

PayPal is another issue altogether. It costs me more than twice as much to accept this method of payment compared with credit cards - their commisiion rake off (generally over 5%) is a real rip-off.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

From what I remember of the original set up on Ebay it was mostly folks getting rid of stuff they had stashed in the attic or at the back of the garden shed they no longer had a use for, sort of an Internet version of a car boot sale.

It's growth has caused the problems. Complaints on various forums have been of 'preferential' treatment to sellers, poor or non exist ant customer service when dealing with complaints, payment / refund problems, high and difficult to understand fees and the comments area, again with a claimed bias to wards sellers.

I have seen some, what I consider, stupid prices bid for items and I am sure some items keep reappearing ? This puts an inflated price on goods at swap meets etc.

Competition is good but I hope Ebid does not go the same way as Ebay.

Reply to
Dragon Heart

The highest rate for normal PayPal is 3.4% + 20p. For the virtual terminal service it's 4.4% +20p. I don't know where you get the "generally over 5%" from. For higher sales volumes the fees come down to 1.4 or 1.9% + 20p.

You can prove anything by making the wrong comparisons. What would your CC processor charge you for the same sales volumes as you make via PayPal? Now look up the PayPal fees for the kind of sales volume you currently have via CC. Then factor in the monthly fees for terminal rental, etc, (which are zero on 3 out of the 5 PayPal schemes).

If you compare like-for-like, PayPal is not a rip off and is often the CHEAPEST solution for fledgling businesses who want to take card payments.

I have no connection with PayPal other than as a satisfied user. It just annoys me when people rubbish the service for no good reason that it's fashionable to do so.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

wrote

All I can say is it always SEEMS to cost me over 5% compared with 1.8% charged by my credit card processor. However accepting your 3.4% (+20p) it's still approaching double the rate for credit card acceptance.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

But still only when you compare against PayPals highest rate. Their rates are tiered, depending on turnover, as are some CC processing charges, I believe. The lowest PayPal rate of 1.4% SEEMS somewhat better than your 1.8%.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

wrote

better than your 1.8%.

Indeed, but how much would I need to turnover on PayPal to attract that rate throughout?

I base my comments on the actual amount charged ME by PayPal and HSBC (my credit card providers).

John.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

(Appologies if this comes out a mess - I'm trying the Pan news reader for the first time....)

I'm with John, PayPal is expensive (WorldPay is cheaper, for a business anyway). As I already have a card machine for the "shop", using it for other payments adds no overhead (indeed it reduces it effectively, as the cost is spread over more sales). Also agreeing with John, what the joint eBay/PayPal fees *should* be never quite seems to match the actual bill presented!

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamends

"Dragon Heart" wrote

goods at swap meets etc.

The days of stupid prices on eBay are long gone, except for the occasional genuine rarity.

Inflated prices at swapmeets are purely of the traders' own doing. It's always been the same and amazing how many people come into my shop and comment how much cheaper our used models are when compared to those charges by swapmeet dealers.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

" The days of stupid prices on eBay are long gone, except for the occasional genuine rarity. " I have just checked on Ebay and I have to agree with you, the 'Buy it now' prices are still too high but the 'private' sales (?) are better than the last time I looked.

" Inflated prices at swapmeets are purely of the traders' own doing. =A0It's always been the same and amazing how many people come into my shop and comment how much cheaper our used models are when compared to those charges by swapmeet dealers. " What do others think is a 'fair' price for a 'run of the mill' 2nd hand waggon from a model shop ? We pay about =A34.50 to 5.00, no box, but in good used condition.

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

A carriage return between what you are quoting and what you are writing would help!

Obviously depends on the wagon, and what the new price (if still available) is from Hattons, or the like.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

"Dragon Heart" wrote

I'd generally charge that for a boxed one.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

That's why I use " & " but point taken.

For example :-

Dragon Heart

=A34.50 to 5.00 for a boxed one !!!!!!! Must pay you a visit when I am in the Hessle Road area :-)

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

"Dragon Heart" wrote

Had some in at that price range this week and one or two a little bit more expensive.

I can remember the days when we were lucky to sell a second hand wagons for ten bob!!!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I can remember when they were under 5 bob new!!!!

Reply to
MartinS

.... but you can never find 5 guys named Robert when you need them can you ?

OK it's an old joke but someone had to say it :-)

Looks like the Railroad range, amongst other things, is taking it's effect.

It's now good for those wishing to sell 2nd hand rolling stock but it's good for 'new' people starting to build their stock.

Things MAY change with Christmas around the corner ( seen Christmas paper & cards in the local shops in early August ) but I fear it's going to be a lean Christmas this year.

Reply to
Dragon Heart