Athearn announcements

Athearn are introducing Bombardier Coach and Cab cars in various liveries; Model Junction in Slough is offering advance reservations. The one I'm interested in is Caltrain. The announcement says they will also be offering an F59PHi in the same colours (although the commuter bit of Caltrain down the peninsular doesn't use that specific loco to haul the Baby Bullets that the Bombardiers are usually used for it does use similar looking MPI locos and Caltrain does use F59PHi locos elsewhere so the resulting train is not strictly accurate).

Anyway....

The F59PHi is listed as DCC ready which is fine except that I fancy fitting it with sound. I believe the F59PHi is an existing model that they are simply producing with new liveries. Anyone know if there is space in the body for sound?

Reply to
Graham Harrison

Maybe you should note this:-

Charter of uk.rec.models.rail

Courtesy of

uk.rec.models.rail is an unmoderated newsgroup for the discussion of railway model making, including conventional railways, tramways, industrial, narrow-gauge, trams, and monorails. Content should be relevant to the UK, for example:

Modelling prototypes which operated within the UK Modelling UK railway scenery and structures Techniques and tools relevant to UK modellers Modelling prototypes of UK origin (eg prototypes built in the UK exported to other countries) UK model making scales and standards UK model railway clubs and societies UK model railway publications (books and periodicals). UK model manufacturers and suppliers UK prototype issues which affect modelling Collecting models either made in the UK or of UK prototypes.

Discussion is open for all aspects of UK model railways, be they static, electric, clockwork, live-steam, internal combustion, pneumatic. There is no restriction of scale, though perhaps a general maximum should be Gauge 1, G scale and 16mm scale. Reviews of models, kits and accessories are encouraged. Participants are requested to keep to plain ASCII text for postings, and not use MIME or other more elaborate forms.

Advertising Adverts should be clearly marked in the subject line (the words "AD", "For Sale", "Exhibition" or "Commercial" at the start of the subject line are recommended).

Short (less than 20 line) commercial announcements relevant to UK rail model making are permitted (either manufacturers or traders), though extensive advertising lists are not permitted (these should be available by mail, ftp or http to interested readers).

Commercial advertisers should not post adverts more frequently than once per month.

Private for-sale adverts are permitted, though should be short and concise. Discussion/negotiation should be via private email. Announcements by model railway clubs and societies are permitted, though should be concise and relevant. Announcement of model railway shows is permitted. Blatant off-topic or commercial advertising is not permitted.

Binaries Binaries are not permitted on this group, however references to FTP-able material and Web URL's are welcomed.

Reply to
John Turner

The F59PHI is also available in GO Transit (Toronto) colours, although GO's new locos are MP40s, with some EMD components. The original F59PH was designed by GO and built by EMD.

Incidentally, the locos sell for $80 (£40) and the highly-detailed bi- level Bombardier coaches for around $30 (£15). The F59PHI can pull 14 of these (GO will be using 12).

Reply to
MartinS

I take it, then, I'm the straw that broke the back of the Camel? We've had Garrats and Sentinels in S. America and even more off topic How do I make my Ukrainian model go like a train.

Still, point taken and wrist slap duly noted.

Reply to
Graham Harrison

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 22:44:10 +0100, "Graham Harrison" said in :

Yeah, but that was /funny/.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

"Graham Harrison" wrote

Garratts (note spelling) & Sentinels were UK built and are on-topic.

Cross-posting is also regarded as SPAM.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I see that this newsgroup is dieing so I would have thought that anything that livens it up a bit is worth while. How much longer can it survive. Why not just have model railways in the uk. Kevin

Reply to
Zen83237

"Zen83237" wrote

Dying eh? The number of posts here have remained fairly consistent over the past ten years that I've used the group, but things do move on and an awful lot of postings do go to forums these days.

Why not start a fresh group if that's what you want?

If I want to read about Athearn (and I do have a strong interest in HO-scale US outline) then I'd just go to the appropriate newsgroup.

John.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Am Fri, 19 Sep 2008 17:54:14 +0100 schrieb John Turner:

...and I hope I will be able to setup one or two of it (depends on price and budget and v.v.) on my future layout. Model-railways are not very common in Paraguay.

Regards Edgar

Reply to
Edgar Warnecke

But if you'd actually read it you'd have seen that the Ukrainian aspect wasn't relevant, other than that it made a good subject line. It was a question about UK availability of motor bogies for use by a UK modeller on a layout in the UK; and one answer was Toby, which is about as British as you can get.

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 23:50:21 +0100, Arthur Figgis said in :

Plus the subject line was chortlemungous.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

Are you serious. A few years ago there were lots of postings. I log on very occasionally now and there just a few tired old threads with hardly any new ones.

Kevin

Reply to
Zen83237

"Zen83237" wrote

In that case maybe they've all been put off by off-topic postings?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Most usenet groups are in decline. The growth is in blogs and various web based discussion forum.

You're welcome to submit a change to the charter through the relevant channels. The process is well documented. However, I doubt it would have much affect on the traffic levels.

The original charter reflected traffic and groups at the time it was written; there were rec.** groups which dealt primarily with US models and various others suited to European models.

- Nigel (writer of the group's current charter).

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

Having looked at a few other forums they all seem either too cliquey (?) or of low real content. Prefer quality to quantity.

There are also some old bods who are very knowledgable here that dont appear to have to many axes to grind. Not me though, am far too young.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Your taking the piss again.

Kevin

Reply to
Zen83237

Nigel,

how does it differ from the original charter?

Paul, one of the three original charter writers.

Reply to
Paul Stevenson

"Zen83237" wrote

Probably! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I'm not aware of any changes to the version used in creating the group.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe