NE Guards Van

G'day, I have been repairing my old Train set (Passed down from my Dad in my youth). It mostly consists of Tri-ang stuff. In the late 70's I bought a NE guards van (Hornby R215). Now, I got to wondering. I have the Britannia and a few others of that vintage which are BR livery. I have a Maroon (R424) LMS Buffet car. I find it odd that all these models were produced at the same time by Triang but under different rail companies.

BR was formed in 1947, swallowing LNER and LMS? NE was merged into LNER in 1923? The 20 ton brake van became a staple part of the BR fleet. So I was wondering were BR tardy in repainting older rolling stock? When did the NE logo finally disappear from LNER and BR tracks? Also when did the LMS logo disappear from the BR stable?

You will have to forgive my lack of knowledge in this department as I have not run my Trains in about 20 years. Also I am a Kiwi living in Aussie, so BR was a bit thin on the ground around here. Thought I had better ask some Poms;-).

Thanks

Mark Bedingfield

Reply to
Mark Bedingfield

People like to model different eras. Many of us who have tried to stay up to date have found that it is far too expensive to buy new models every time the modelled railway changes it's lettering and liveries! Some people pick the time when they were in their childhood and first became aware of train details, while others pick some other date that might be significant to them or they might choose an era based on pretty colours ;-) Others pick "today" and find five years later that they are historical modellers. Some just buy whatever takes their fancy - Hornby tries to cater for everyone.

The LNER retained NE on their goods guards vans.

I wouldn't expect BR to have repainted all their rolling stock on the first day of 1948, probably the lettering would have been altered at the first overhaul. I would guess it could have been 5 years on. Probably first class express locos and express passenger stock would have had precedence in the paint shop.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Thanks for that Greg. I would imagine under those circumstances that it would have been possible that even in the 50's-60's that there may have been a few left. Makes it easier to justify running the A1A with the Brake car;-)

Thanks

Mark

Reply to
Mark Bedingfield

You're welcome - when the Poms wake up they'll probably give you a better answer ;-)

Regards, Greg.P. NZ

Reply to
Greg Procter

"Mark Bedingfield" wrote in message news:xxdGf.396$ snipped-for-privacy@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

It would be quite normal for Traing or Hornby or anyone else in fact to be producing locomotives and rolling stock in any number of liveries but beware of the "toy train" offereings where items like a BR Mk1 coach appears with "Great Western" or "LMS" on the side, It just didn't happen.

Michael West of Ireland

Reply to
Michael

My personal philosophy is if you want to, and you like, then run what you want. I often run a little SR tank loco with an LMS carriage (my excuse is it's just shunting it around to the main loco), and a diesel hymek with a rake of private owner wagons. That's what I like to run, and I do this for *MY* enjoyment, not for anybody elses. That, for me, is the bottom line.

I also run prototypical trains, usually LMS, when the fancy takes me.

Ian

Reply to
icornish

You can reckon that almost all rolling stock was marked up in BR logos / lettering by the start of 1949. BR was divided into W, M S & NE and later Sc was added.

Triang & triang Hornby continued to produce pre-BR models and all makers still do! As some of our contributers have often remarked " I run what I like because it is mine and I like it". i am sure that this approach is familier to an Aussie Kiwi!

Regards P.A.

Reply to
peter abraham

Ref the repainting of stock:- There was an ex-GWR Manor which carried the GWR emblem on its tender until

1964, and possibly later. Other stock might just acquire the relevant region's prefix , perhaps having the company lettering rather roughly painted out- I remember seeing a private-owner coal wagon still bearing the owner's lettering as late as the late 1960s. This was on the mineral line which my back bedroom window overlooked- the train was hauled by a EE Type 3, or '68er' as we called them at the time. Even later than that,I remember seeing a 21t 'Loco Coal' wagon, still bearing the requisite markings, and with 'NE' showing through the very thin coat of BR grey that had been applied. There were two things to remember at the time:- 1 There was a heck of a lot of freight stock (at one time there were close on 250 000 16t minerals alone!) 2 Money was relatively tight for niceties such as repainting wagons, so only essential lettering tended to be repainted. Even new BR stock, which was issued with a 'repaint due' plate when built, might be seen untouched by paint-brush ten years after this date. Brian
Reply to
BH Williams

Just so happens that Railway Magazine I purchased about an hour ago has fallen open on a page containing one of the exceptions. A photo of a Manor taken in 1964 still coupled to a Tender bearing the GWR initials. G.Harman

Reply to
g.harman

Hornby Dublo changed their production from pre-BR to BR relatively quickly! I have their 1957 catalogue (my first) and it contains only BR, both in OO and O gauges. Reading assorted odd Meccano Magazines, the new BR liveries followed close behind the prototype and on some occassions even preceded the prototype! Rovex-Tri-ang didn't do pre-BR models in pre-grouping liveries until the GWR and CR 4-2-2s were released. Trix Pre-BR hung around for a while but my guess is they had warehouses full of the old stuff.

It appears to me that Brits around 1950 wanted to look forward, not back.

As some of our contributers have often remarked " I

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

It actually took them 5 years from nationalisation, with the first British Railways liveries appearing between April and May 1953. Duchess of Montrose and Silver King replaced Duchess of Athol and Sir Nigel Gresley at that time.

Dave W.

Reply to
David Westerman

Oops! Sorry, two "L" s in Atholl

Reply to
David Westerman

I was about minus 1 years old at the time of nationalization and only discovered HD in 1959, so it seemed a very quick changeover to me at the time! I've never even seen an HD pre-nationalization marked wagon or coach here in NZ. I have a few Trix ...

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Ahh, the she'll be right, cobber approach;-)

From what I can gather with BR, all bets are off. I have a Britannia loco, A1A diesel, Crepello (Hornby Dubblo), Jinty, Saddletank, and a rake of Pullmans along with a smattering of freight cars. Just trying to justify running the NE brake car to myself really. I will be running it anyway, just wondering if it is historically accurate.

The Britannia (1954) and the A1A (1957), Crepello (1961) will be running on my dinky layout, so it is possible, just not probable;-)

Mark

Reply to
Mark Bedingfield

Take a fine brush and some white paint. paint a diagonal line through the "N" and the "E" Now paint "BR" in circa 3mm high letters left bottom corner of the main side wall. Honour saved. :-)

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Some good pictures of this in "The 4mm Coal Wagon" from White Swan. It seems very little repainting of PO wagons was done other than a black patch where the P number was applied.

Andrew

Reply to
google