Where's Henrietta

My son is after a Hornby version of Henrietta ( Toby's carriage ) but I have never seen one. I have looked at other carriages and rolling stock and about the only thing that comes near ( with a veranda at each end ) is a brake van which, with my limited modelling skills / budget, I may be able to convert.

Any ideas / suggestions ?

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

"Dragon Heart" wrote

You could look out for one of the old Tri-ang Davy Crocket coaches [1] - think they were sold as 'Old Time Coach'. They look something like your description with a verandah at each end, but then so do quite a few American coaches [2] of that period.

[1] they are a bit uncommon [2] Bachmann USA have some in their range

John.

Reply to
John Turner

At one time D&S did a 4mm scale etched brass kit that made one 4 wheel and one bogie coach from the Wisbeach & Upwell Tramway (whose locos Toby is based on). These are now out of production and as you comment that you have limited modelling skills may well be a step too far even if you could find one.

The only probable alternative is to seek out an HO scale model of some of the German 4 wheelers that were nicknamed Thunderboxes. They do have end balconies. This may be expensive though. Some were sent to other european railways as war reparations. They would probably need couplings changed to make them compatable with Hornby.

The following URL will show the sort of vehicle I mean, refs 23309 & 23310.

Many of the continental manufacturers have them in their catalogue under many liveries.

Reply to
John Shelley

The prototype carriages were very low. One of them was used in The Titfield Tbunderbolt, and the small 14xx tank engine and the rest of the train (a cattle van AFAIR and a Toad brake van) towered over it.

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

Yup:

photos of my build the 4wheeled version:
I've not taken pictures of my bogie version.

I think D&S models used to do it in 4mm scale, though he didn't bother with the prototype's bent solebar.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

The nickname of 'Thunderboxes' brought back memories of another type of wooden contraption :-)

I am aware Marklin do a 'Z' gauge version of the four wheel Thunderboxes but nothing in '00' !

My idea was to use something like, for example, a Hornby R6266 BR (ex-SR) 20 Ton Brake Van, repaint it and add some extra windows ! May just forget about the steps.

I have also asked Hornby.

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

The Thunderboxes were so named because they were of all steel construction. (other than the seats)

The early Fleischmann ones were 1:82 scale.

Reply to
Greg Procter

I think this is what your looking for, found it listed on ebay today

HTH's Wilson

Reply to
Wilson.R.Adams

Wilson.R.A.Adams wrote :-

I think this is what your looking for, found it listed on ebay today

It looks like it but my son thinks it's too long for her ( based on his video collection ). I also found a similar model @
for $45 Australian ( about =A319 ) or
@ =A330 so the current price of about =A34 looks good.

The does appear some conflicting ideas on how she should look ...

Take

at East Anglian Railway Museum. This 'Toby' is actually a diesel shunter and Henrietta's under frame was taken from an old box van.

Whilst investigating the subject I have found out how well engineered these trams were.

Regulations required :-

The engine must be governed to a maximum speed of 8 miles per hour

No steam or smoke may be emitted

It must be free from noise produced by blast or clatter

The machinery must be concealed from view at all points above 4 inches ( 100 mm ) from rail level hence the cow catchers and side plates. They apparently used coke, rather than coal to prevent smoke and to prevent visible emission of steam, two systems were used. One was to condense the exhaust steam & return it to the water tank or superheating the exhaust steam to make it invisible.

Thanks for your help folks !

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart