alternator

Anyone know a good (=cheap) place to get a 240V single phase alternator?

mate is after one for a Lister TR2 twin cyl generator, direct drive,

10-13KVA

can't see any on ebay at the moment.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

this any good

mark

alternator?

3 phase beefy motor can be configured as a generator using a 'delta' configuaration of capacitors across the phases. Not sure if a single phase motor can do the same, but you could use one phase of a three phase machine perhaps?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

On or around Thu, 06 Nov 2008 21:49:43 +0000, Austin Shackles enlightened us thusly:

good suggestions but not the right answer. He's got the genset, a Lister start-o-matic, but the alternator is shagged. Mind, dunno in what way: might be better bet to get the existing one rewound...

but anyway, he's looking for a direct replacement.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

But is the alternator "shagged"? There is a lot in the control box that will stop generation. Somewhere I have the service and circuit info for a Start-o-matic if it is of any use.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Edwards

On or around Sun, 09 Nov 2008 07:13:38 +0000, Richard Edwards enlightened us thusly:

dunno, and yes it would. I've not tested it myself, dunno if he has or has had it tested by anyone who knows. Nor do I know if there are visible signs of shaggedness. I shall enquire, meantime, if you can find the info, it'll be very handy - I've never had to investigate a start-o-matic before.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The auto start/charge relay can be a pain to set up on these,especially if someone has been busy bending contacts about. Seem to remember the last one I done I replaced it for quickness (old uncle in the middle of nowhere with no lights). Think it cost about =A3120 twenty years back.

Reply to
mark

There's a Start-O-Matic manual on our websites at:

or at:

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

On or around Wed, 12 Nov 2008 12:04:58 +0000, Peter A Forbes enlightened us thusly:

More info: this one is the kind with a separate starter motor, not the sort with start windings in the alternator. The alternator is burnt black inside so it seems pretty likely the windings are shot.

However, he's located a FOAF who's involved in fettling alternators.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Far too modern for me then!

Black is good! Or so I am told!

Sorry, but whats a FOAF? Ah maybe Friend of a Friend? Too many Vodkas Run out of Scotch!

Richard

Reply to
Richard Edwards