alternator

Anyone know a good (=cheap) place to get a 240V single phase alternator?
mate is after one for a Lister TR2 twin cyl generator, direct drive,
10-13KVA
can't see any on ebay at the moment.
On 6 Nov, 21:49, Austin Shackles <austinDITCHTHISFORBETTERRESU...@ddol- las.net> wrote:

this any good
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-KVA-generator-3-Phase_W0QQitemZ180304097535QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180304097535&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
in message

alternator?
them.
3 phase beefy motor can be configured as a generator using a 'delta' configuaration of capacitors across the phases. Not sure if a single phase motor can do the same, but you could use one phase of a three phase machine perhaps?
AWEM
On or around Thu, 06 Nov 2008 21:49:43 +0000, Austin Shackles

good suggestions but not the right answer. He's got the genset, a Lister start-o-matic, but the alternator is shagged. Mind, dunno in what way: might be better bet to get the existing one rewound...
but anyway, he's looking for a direct replacement.
On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 13:53:24 +0000, Austin Shackles

But is the alternator "shagged"? There is a lot in the control box that will stop generation. Somewhere I have the service and circuit info for a Start-o-matic if it is of any use.
Richard
On or around Sun, 09 Nov 2008 07:13:38 +0000, Richard Edwards

dunno, and yes it would. I've not tested it myself, dunno if he has or has had it tested by anyone who knows. Nor do I know if there are visible signs of shaggedness. I shall enquire, meantime, if you can find the info, it'll be very handy - I've never had to investigate a start-o-matic before.

The auto start/charge relay can be a pain to set up on these,especially if someone has been busy bending contacts about. Seem to remember the last one I done I replaced it for quickness (old uncle in the middle of nowhere with no lights). Think it cost about 120 twenty years back.
On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 21:40:52 +0000, Austin Shackles

There's a Start-O-Matic manual on our websites at:
http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/ListerData/SOMMenu1.htm
or at:
http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk/ListerData/SOMMenu1.htm
Peter -- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk http://www.prepair.co.uk http://www.prepair.eu
On or around Wed, 12 Nov 2008 12:04:58 +0000, Peter A Forbes

More info: this one is the kind with a separate starter motor, not the sort with start windings in the alternator. The alternator is burnt black inside so it seems pretty likely the windings are shot.
However, he's located a FOAF who's involved in fettling alternators.
On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 13:03:28 +0000, Austin Shackles

Far too modern for me then!

Black is good! Or so I am told!

Sorry, but whats a FOAF? Ah maybe Friend of a Friend? Too many Vodkas Run out of Scotch!
Richard