They have a trading address on their website and I am hoping that some kind soul here might live or work close by and be able to ascertain for me whether they're a legitimate business or simply another scammer inhaling money from folks the world over. Here is their address.

KeyDigital Technologies (London) 203 Edgware Road #03-32, London w2 1es, United Kingdom

If anyone can help that would be great, and apologies for being off-topic.

Steve

ps. How does anyone ever work out the postcode system in the UK!?

:)

Reply to
mindesign

#03-32 is not a postcode, it's a box number. I doubt very much anyone is there.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

The postcode quoted by Steve is W2 1ES - it might be worth Googling that and see what it throws up.

Having said that I wouldn't trust any company that insisted on payment by Western Union. If I'm buying from abroad I always use either a credit card or PayPal, both of which give some measure of buyer protection - but check your credit card company first to see exactly what protection they offer.

My recommendation would be that if a deal sounds too good to be true, then it probably is. There must be any number of legitimate companies offering your chosen camera for sale. It may be worth paying a few pounds more to get one from an outlet which provides you with more confidence.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"mindesign" wrote

Just found their website:-

which says they accept Mastercard, Visa & Delta, although reading their site suggests a very poor command of English, poor enough to make me suspicious.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Why would a British company price their goods in US dollars? That and the insistence on Western Union payment sounds a bit fishy to me.

Their camera prices aren't all that brilliant either.

Reply to
jasper_goat

thanks folks - I think I smell last week's fish dinner - if they were legit, then they'd have their act together enough to do business correctly. Even though I have dealt with Asians for many years, when they're on the level they are happy to give one references etc.

BTW and back on topic, I am no diesel fan, but saw this loco (from a HK seller I believe) and considered it a magnificent example...... anyone know much about these? I thought it an absolute killer bargain!

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

BTW AGAIN - the photography on that eBay link is the reason I would like to buy the Canon EOS 30D ......

TOTALLY for my work, of course!

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

exactly - but compared to the prices I have found, they are spectacular - which doesn't inspire further confidence all things considered.

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

I already did. W2 1ES is an accommodation address at which #03-32 is a box number. Roya Mail's online database gives the same address as being "A & H Brass Ltd".

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"mindesign" wrote

I've got the much older EOS D30 which even 4+ years on is a nice piece of kit, but I'd very much like a 30D.

I'm suppose I'm lucky in that my railway website(s) are used to promote my business so a new camera would be tax deductable. Still struggling to justify buying one at the moment though.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Even if they are legit the wording 'WE don't have to pay custom duties' strongly suggests that the buyer will be liable for them along with the costs of its collection and any other taxes that the country in which you live may demand. It is quite a high cost item so any exemption for low value items doesn't apply.

Alan

Reply to
Alan P Dawes

Well, mindesign is in Oz so would *always* be responsible for any duties, never the seller when buying from the UK. What it may mean is that the cameras are either smuggled into the UK or are actually being shipped from somewhere other than the UK. In that case a UK buyer would get stung.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

wrote

Ithought their comments applied to exports, in which case they could mean they don't have to charge VAT on goods being sent outside the EEC.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"mindesign"

No LIMITED company of that name - not tthat they claim to be limited.. There was a Ltd company called Key Digital but that shut last year and they were probably a printing business.

No publicly known (ie credit checkable) non ltd company at all.

But they might be reputable long established traders. and i might not be going to put the kids to bed.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Wilson

"mindesign" wrote in news:Nsnhg.2940$ snipped-for-privacy@nasal.pacific.net.au:

Up until a couple of years ago I worked just a hop and a skip away from the Edgeware Road. Along that particular stretch you have a lot of consumer electrical shops, arab cafes and arabic shops. Indeed it's very much like walking along the High St in downtown Alexandria. *Most* of them are pukka and generally inexpensive (by Central London) standards. However, there are more than a few dodgy setups generally operating from the flats above the shops, here today gone tomorrow, or accomodation addresses for the old "long firm fraud", illegal immigrants 20 to a room - that sort of thing.

I don't know the company you mention, nor do I recollect seeing a shop front with thier name on baring that in mind and not for a moment suggesting that the majority of the traders there are OK I'd be very concerned about sending money under the circumstances you describe.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

"John Turner" wrote in news:e66399$he$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreaderm2.core.theplanet.net:

I tend to wait until Christmas or my birthday then spend a week staring at my wife making moaning noises until she gives in and buys whatever I want for me (with my money of course!). :-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

regardless of how one purchases an item overseas, duty applies at the buyer's end and expense.

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

thanks everyone - - the advice and comments are all heeded. I will be keeping my hard-earned (or, easily come by according to some, being a designer)

I have looked at options locally and while the cost is substantially higher, I get to actually GET my stuff - our largest retail chain MYER, is having their stocktake sale and does price-match so I am in with a chance to get it from a big player at a smaller player's price AND take advantage of the other incentives like interest free etc.

Thanks again

Steve

NOW BACK TO MODELLING!!!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Reply to
mindesign

At least if you buy it locally to you, you will be eligible for any Canon promotions like a free compact flash card - see

also sometimes do cash back if you buy with Mastercard although it is not usually advertised on their promotions page as it is exclusive to a particular country. I found out about the 100pounds cashback Canon did in December for purchasers in the UK by asking the shop staff to find out for me if canon were doing any other offers. In the end Canon sent me a free

512MB card and 100pounds. The shop gave me 100 free prints and upgraded the lens to the better USM version. - Haggle :-)

Alan

Reply to
Alan P Dawes