Idiot on Ebay (ohojim)

Some idiot called ohojim is really spoiling the ebay experience. I regularly type "lathe" into the search box, to see what auctions are ending in the next few days, now thanks to this idiot I get hundreds of listings for books, many with the same title, it makes it very difficult to browse the other auctions. Try typing "live steam" into the search box, the same idiot has saturated the results with his book listings. Before, I would get 2 maybe 3 pages of results on this search, it made it easy to scan, but as a result of this idiot one now has to wade through 9 pages of listings. Hell, I don't mind if someone wants to make a buck, and sells new books via ebay, but at least this idiot could hold one or two dutch auctions instead of having over 50 listings for each book! Ebay doesn't care this guy is a big seller.

Reply to
AllenB

This sort of stuff has been going on as long as ebay's been around. Tweak your search by adding things like lathe -book . Keep adding subtractions until you get back to a reasonable list of auctions. Then bookmark the search page and it'll save your search parameters.

Some of mine have 10 or 15 minus signs.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

type:

lathe -mill -projects

(and whatever other words he adds in the titles, etc.)

It'll weed out the extra "junk".

Reply to
Randy Replogle

Don't worry... He just went nutz on Ebays' free listing day on the 26th... When he has to pay to sell, he'll settle down...

"AllenB" wrote:

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Simple!

Just exlude the seller from your search. Go to search by seller, and near the bottom you will see a text box where you can list up to 10 sellers. Check the box that says exclude this sellers from my search and then type your search text in the search box. I get about 216 matches for live steam by excluding ohojim

Nice huh?

Here is a link to the ebay search for live steam - ohojim:

You can obviously change the search text to lathe or penis pump, or whatever suits your fancy :-)

Rick

Reply to
Rick

no, just go to search by seller tab and exlude a list of up to 10 sellers...works like a champ!

Reply to
Rick

Just for kicks, here is a link to the ebay search for lathe - ohojim:

Still a lot of hits (2114), but it does cut it down from 4510 (dang that guy has a lot of stuff up!)

Rick

Rick

Nice.

I didn't know they added that feature

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

This dude has done this many times before. It got to the point that you could not type in anything without his crap coming up. Lots of folks IIRC from this forum emailed him and complaianed, and IIRC it was around News Years Day the last time he did this, and his excuse was he did not intend to list that many items and his software program he uses to post the stuff accidently got carried away. I think he uses Ebays chance to post for free without a fee from the seller, that they offer every now and then.

Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

Thanks Rick. That's a big help.

Reply to
Artemia Salina

There are two ways to exclude sellers. One is used during a keyword search, and the syntax is &se=[+..] e.g. &se=8081126001. The other is used in category searches, like when you're looking at all metalworking items within the Seattle area and you don't want to see the idiot who sells manuals. That syntax is e.g.: &sasellerex=25119449+1796081+111379987+70671053

You should know and become familiar with both of these. This would have worked to 100% exclude Al Babin back in the day (if any are still around who remember that rascal). There is no direct way to find a seller's internal ebay number. If they have an "ebay store" then to get the sellers id place your cursor over their store in the listing and see what the url is in the status bar. It will have id/1580591 or some such. Your exclusion qualifier will then be "&se=1580591" (omit the quotes) tacked to the end of your search url. If they don't have an ebay store then get their seller id (e.g. "reliabletools") into your cut/paste buffer and go to Search->By Seller and then put some dummy keyword in and the seller's id down below and then click "Search" and examine the url of the following page - it can be inferred from that.

This sounds a little tricky, and in fact, it is. But it is hugely useful and I use this all the time. Guys on this NG are so smart you shouldn't have any real trouble with it.

Grant Erwin Kirkland, Washington

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Often it is possible to limit the search to one category such as "Business and Industrial" and avoid the toys and games.

Reply to
Dave
[Instructions on obtaining a seller's ebay ID # in order to exclude them from searches]

Thanks for the detailed info, Grant, but wouldn't it be nice if ebay had a simple "plonk" mechanism? Heck, it'd probably cut down on their administrative costs if users could ignore errant sellers with a mouse click or two.

I wonder if they could be persuaded to add such a feature?

Reply to
Artemia Salina

I wish they had a feature that allows you to block a seller's items forever- I'm in NY and constantly getting the Machinery Values ebay store fantasy listings that I have to scroll through.

Reply to
ATP

There's several changes to ebay I'd like to see. Unfortuately, ebay is not interested in making any changes that might decrease the number of sales they do.

Specifically, I'd like to see feedback displayed only after both parties have entered it. Feedback is essentially useless because anyone posting legitimate negative feedback is almost certain to get revenge negative feedback from the other party.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Even scumbags have 98% + ratings! As far as other changes, how about when you go back to the list of items, you're directed to the last item you looked at, instead of to the top of the page?

Reply to
ATP

Hopefully ebay will realize it is the *customers* who buy things that really drive the train.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Huh? So that all a bad seller has to do to avoid negs is not post any feedback?

Jeff

Reply to
A.Gent

Well, no. I oversimplified it. Both parties would have a time window to enter feedback. The point is that the feedback would not be revealed until after both had had a chance to enter it.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I'll tell you what I'd like to see done differently on ebay regarding feedback viewing - I wish I could click on the red negative feedbacks and see just a list of those! I hate having to wade through hundreds of feedbacks just to look at the bad ones.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin