Dija know? Tool steels

Dija know..that when you put that big chunk of steel that you thought was 303 in the mill and put your very very best save for this project

3" face mill in the spindle and start the cut and turn on the powerfeed and its cutting so good that you go and do something else..and about 2" into the cut the piece of steel you thought was 303 was actually A-2 melts down your special saved for this project shaving sharp beautiful 3" face mill into a glob of schmutz?

It really does.

Damnit.

Sob.......

Sometimes having Mystery Metal on hand...is not a good thing...

Wimper.....

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

You have to look on the bright side, Gunner. Even If you had been standing there watching, the cutter would still be FUBAR, except you might be under some misconception that you might have been able to do something about it, and feeling worse.

BTDT

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Condolences. Really.

Experience will yield the ability to discern the difference in materials, minimizing the possibility of a repeat. Remember, the 300 series of stainless is not magnetic, and possesses a yellow color--not easily confused with other materials.

Make it a habit to watch your chips when you first start a cut. They speak volumes about cutting speed and material-------you should have seen the red flag go up when the chips came off blue. Overheated stainless will be dark yellow to dark brown.

Using carbide? If so, what grade?

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

So the project was good enough for the Special cutter but not good enough for the known metal pile?

That does suck though

Gunner wrote:

Reply to
Brent Philion

Known metal pile? Whats that? Its all Mystery Metal. I can figure out the brass, bronze (sometimes) and aluminum..and if its magnetic or not...but thats about it. I could spend days doing a grinder test.

I only found out that this piece was A-2..cause I found another 6" chunk that hadnt gotten a bit rusty..and printed on it was Oil Hardening---A2.

Hell..it cut fine with the band saw, deburred fine with the softwheel, scribed just hunky dory with the scriber..and the first chips that came off looked normal. I tend to run a bit fast..tan to blue chips most of the time on regular steel..and these were not even tan..so shrug... and the face mill wasnt even carbide..but HSS.

I was making angled sections to go on both sides of my HLV-H ways, to duplicate the Hardinge carraige stop/dial indicator/micrometer holder that goes across the ways under the spindle.

So I trammed my Yuasa angle vise to the proper degrees, put in a chunk, and let her rip at my normal speeds and feeds for this type of face mill.

Indeed. I finished the accessory gizmo today...still not the way I wanted it..but it will work while I ponder a better way to be able to mount a stop rod, dial indicator, 4 position indexing stop and so forth. Shrug. The Hardinge one is neat..but Ive never seen one in real life, only pictures. Same with the unit that mounts on the carraige. In fact..Ive never seen a Hardinge Steady rest or follower rest except in pictures..and only one taper attachment..which is my next Hardinge project. In this neck of the woods..folks for some reason didnt buy em.

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

That's odd. A2 is air-hardening tool steel.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

You are absolutely correct. WTF?????

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

I just had to go look..and under the rust..it indeed says Air..rather than oil. Dim light and rust. Shrug..Good catch indeed.

Which goes to show how little I know about tool steels

Thanks!