Compound Slide Taper Pics

Just a couple of pics of an internal taper (45 Deg. included angle) I cut in a toolpost project I'm working on, using only the compound slide set at 22 1/2 deg. The dimensions of the block are 4" x 4" x 2". The through-hole is 2" ID. The depth of the taper is 1". The view is of the underside of the toolpost.

(Note that the through-hole section is rough because I was boring it, with power feed, as my lathe's belt was about to give out and break.)

I'm pretty pleased with the finish on the taper, since the compound slide has to be fed by hand and the small crank handle makes smooth feeding tough to do [1]. Here's a close-up of the finish of the taper.

I thought I'd post these images because of another recent thread, to demonstrate that a taper attachment ($$$) or other rigs are not needed in every case where one needs to cut a taper, internal or external.

[1] This difficulty makes me wonder if an electric screw driver could be fitted to the compound slide's crank handle in order to get a smoother feed and therefor a more uniform finish (not to mention fewer cramps!)...?
Reply to
Artemia Salina

I use an electric screw driver on the crossfeed and compound slide. Unfortunately my Boxford hasn't got either. Works great but the screwdriver must turn slowly with a reasonable amount of power to give good results.

Regards, Martin Perry

Reply to
Martin Perry

Use a 3/8 drive speed handle and drive it off of the nut for the compound handle. Works bitchen.

Reply to
rc

You should see how threading used to be done on the old Cataract lathes. They ran the change gears to a drive shaft, via universal joints, to the compound slide. These were lathes without carriages, so the slide assembly clamped to bed.

The advantage was you could use the shaft to perform angle feeds as well. An example:

Jim

jim rozen