Hand-fed Taper (with pictures)

Just a couple of pictures of an internal taper I made using the compound slide on my SB Heavy 10 lathe. The workpiece in the photos is the underside of a shop-made turret-type tool post for the same lathe. For scale, this is a 4" square tool post that takes 1/2" square tool bits, and the clamping screws are 7/16".

The reason for the taper was an experiment based on the idea that the taper presents more surface area per unit of length, and therefor better grip when the indexing lever is tightened. I forget the included angle of the taper (I made this last year) but it is obvious that it is a self-releasing type.

I post pictures of this because I'm particularly proud of the fine finish I was able to achieve with just the (hand-fed) compound slide.

The mating post (what would that be called?) has a similar finish (no pictures available).

Thanks for indulging me!

Reply to
Artemia Salina

Nicely done.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Another way to do this is to put a circular pattern of centerdrill holes in both parts. Then if you put steel balls in there, you index according to the patterns. This is they way the Enco toolposts work. They use an O-ring to keep chips and junk out of the mechanism.

The obvious disadvantage is that they only index in fixed increments.

Your setup will be infinitely adjustable.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

I was turning a Morse taper using the compound once and got so frustrated with the inconsistent hand feed that I took a cordless drill and chucked up the end of the compound feed screw. Reeaall nice. Reverse, too. Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt