compressed-air drills

On Sun, 23 May 2010 21:09:21 -0400, "Mike Marlow" wrote the following:

He must have based it on a Crapsman 7.2v oldie, eh? I can run a 3-1/2" #10 deck screw into a stack of PT tubafores with only my thumb and little finger directing the Impactor. Try that with a regular cordless drill. (That's with a new pozi drive bit or a new or used square bit.)

Agreed, wrong tool for the job. Disagree re: torque. My Chicago Pneumatic will run a 1/2" bit clean through 1" steel plate, but you'd better be hanging onto it with both hands when you try. It thinks it's a Hole Hawg. ;)

-- Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Not arguing here, but in my experience nails popping out is generally due to under-engineering in the manners of: movement caused by too much space between joists, and nails too short.

I know there are other causes, but I've seen nails pop due to those causes.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I'm not buying anything you wrote in this post.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I'm sorry, but there's no way on earth a hammer is faster than a nail gun. I've used both, I'm good at both. Not buying it.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I have two 18V XRP drills, one a "compact" model (which isn't compact). I found one for less than $100 (less than the price of two batteries) on the get-it-outta-here table at HomeDespot. I also have the 6-1/2" circular saw, so six batteries. I don't use the drills often, though. I would much rather use the 12V Bosch and the Impactor. I'd break them out if I built a deck, though. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Maybe, but mine were 16" OC. The nails? For me, screws are easier in the long run.

Screws don't wreck the wood coming out, either.

Reply to
krw

They sure do around here. I think one house of six, built in the last year in my neighborhood, had a hammer on the property. They aren't too bothered scrambling around on the rafters.

Reply to
krw

Not a chance in hell that a hammer is faster. Watch them do shingles some time. Wait, does *anyone* hammer down shingles anymore?

Reply to
krw

I'm certainly not a pro, but I use Phillips, Robertson, and TORX/Star screws, in about the same numbers (prefer TORX, if I can find them). Bits for all of them are pretty common, even in the junk stores.

You don't change the technique, you change the DIRECTION. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Good on you lad!

I managed to drive 10 with a brand new one 4 weeks ago.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Predrilling

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Yep. I use a lot of oak for framing temporary sheds like in the photos. If I don't predrill the lag screws break off when I remove them later. I salvaged the oak beams from pallets for kitchen counter sheets and use them for rafters. The wood is almost as hard as 1980's Chinese cast iron.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

As I stated this varies from crew to crew. Sheeting, follow up, is typically, always done, with nailguns by the junior apprentice.

Some crews, here, will not allow powered nailguns on the job due to safety concerns.

No Building Code or Electrical Inspectors, here, will will enter the buiding if one is in operation. There are many reasons.

I have used both. Guns are faster for me but then I can't drive a 3.1/2" ardox nail in with one crack like the framers I know...LOL

Reply to
Josepi

Not many frame with shingles.

Shingle warranties are usually voided with use of power nailers. Most roofers here, use them anyway.

Reply to
Josepi

On Sun, 23 May 2010 23:11:55 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote the following:

I only do the occasional small shed reroof and never bothered to buy a roofing gun. It probably makes about a 2 hour difference in time. My hammah handle still has the marker line across it I used for aligning the shingles.

--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. ---------------------------------------------------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 23 May 2010 23:10:06 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote the following:

5 out of 6 use hammers around here (for framing, anyway.) Every time I pass a house going up, I hear the methodical hammer reports.

--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. ---------------------------------------------------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

]x?mR»?Ü0 ìõ¬Rí:}îpHs|Àâ?×Ó6m+«?A?ì??`\cYÂp83¤1o1Ñb!súf?}ù2É´6X!w?²¥#G=S?õl?¿?¿5ÿpÁp?8?́rW? &{£­#?0TDyp??á\?Ø0Á?Õ!7?ô4?¿Ã×D­?;o¥í;E??t© Q £öo?àUËgÕÏ&mHëÔ`Gàq ÅÇu?xW¥ ¿b? =Îx#E+? '@çc=\µ??º6ÉêYåZâëEU(èÀÖ;ë»bw?¸  ?Ø+ÔI???øñF¬?D?4Õÿ±?²ªeL¿{·&?[B#??ðÚ?-??¾#þL»å¡2¥?zW§??M81í£*ò5ª^¥2tYT?D?IÃÓÓä2ªV3ü$GT!X?£új`Ç-??ÔÕ{krä+?a!?qI@e «ë}E°ÚQÉj??Þ}acÎgÐÏÅ^él¼Gv1ÿ|½¼¼~Ï6 ÊCè?@b?ùWÑ&?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

On Sun, 23 May 2010 23:15:37 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote the following:

I can usually find torx in 4" here, but most are phillips or square in

1-5/8 to 3-1/2" sizes. I, too, prefer torx, square, and phillips, in that order. For repair work, I prefer that they used square. Dirt usually comes out of those quickly and they come out more readily.

Have you seen the new type of screws? You hammer 'em in, fer chrissake. That's a bit of a technique change. ;)

--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. ---------------------------------------------------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The low torque is great when drilling with an pneumatic in thin metal, at least my wrists think so when it binds.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

I guess I can't say what goes on in the UK, but if there were stats on tool injuries, I'm guessing there would be more broken thumbs from hammers than busted kneecaps from air nailers misfiring.

Again, I'd love to see these reasons. Those things are very powerful at the tip. But the most damage you'll get from one being fired through the air is a bit of a scratch, maybe a drop or two of blood. I suppose you'd hurt your eye... but then again, I've been hit by more nails ricocheting from bad hammer hits than anything else.

You can't shoot a guy full of holes, from across the room, like you see in the movies.

Guns are faster for anyone.

Reply to
-MIKE-