compressed-air drills

Ive watched both 30 cal and larger rounds for at least 200 yrds, as they sped down range.

22-250s are a treat to watch if the weather is cool and the sun is just right.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

It's not quite that cut and dried.

One can see things that one cannot resolve. This happens all the time. A classic example is an insect in a spotlight beam at night. One sees a bright spot one pixel in size, even though the insect is far smaller than a pixel.

One can see subpixel absorbers as well, by the darkening of the pixel containing the object. This is one way astronomers detect planets around distant stars.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

With some bullets..one is seeing the shock wave traveling.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

If you don't have the facts on your side, throw as much crap on the wall as you can.

Maybe you will get lucky and get something to stick.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Most of us can see stars, which are from the viewpoint of human vision point sources--it wasn't until recently that any telescope in the world could resolve one beyond that. Resolving power is only an issue for separating two things close together, not for seeing an object with high contrast.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Can you show us where you read I could see a nail at 500 metres?

To tell the trajectory of an object only the initial flight needs to be observed. Any person, with half a brain, can tell where and how far it will travel based on normal acceleration and deceleration curves in air. Resolving power is not the only factor in site. Research some more.

In view of the demonstrated lack of credibility I would have to conclude you and the other trolls have never used a nail gun at all.

Regardless of how young your eyes are, there's still a lower limit to their resolving power: the size of a single cone in the retina, which corresponds to about 0.4 minutes of arc. That means it's simply impossible to see, for example, a .22 bullet at 200 yards, or a nail at 500 meters.

Reply to
Josepi

Father and I used to determine whether it was a clear day or not by the fact that we could see 1/2" steel guy wires on the fire tower1500 yards away and 250 feet higher. The first 25% of this distance over a frozen lake may have helped somewhat. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Yes, I can -- or, more precisely, where you claimed you could see a nail up to, but not *at*, 500 meters.

"The three I own shoot nails farther than the eye can see in the sky. One can only track them, depending on the sky and background, about three to four farmers fields and then they disappear, being too small for the human eye at about 500 metres. Yes, that is over 1/4 mile."

Obviously. But that doesn't mean you can actually *see* it.

I've used nail guns extensively for their intended purpose: nailing pieces of wood together. I'll admit that I've never used one for launching nails into the air.

Reply to
Doug Miller

That says it all. The next person that actually experiences shooting a air operated framing 3.5" clipped head nail gun into the air, can report what they see for distance.

I admit, about 1/2 of them I have shot could not be seen. You have to be looking in the right place when it leaves or it's gone.

The BS still remains from the group trolls that speak without real experience and nothing to back up their attacks.

Reply to
Josepi

Having half a brain might explains how one could think a nail gun shoots a nail 500 meters.

In view of the fact that you've now shown your hand by letting it be known that you didn't actually witness this 500 meter flight of a nail, I think it's obvious on whom the lack of credibility should be placed.

Reply to
-MIKE-

[Raising hand] Umm, me. Nowhere near 1/4 mile, that's for darn sure. What I do remember thinking was, "I can probably throw a ball farther than that."

You already admitted to not seeing how far they actually go, but "can tell where and how far it will travel based on normal acceleration and deceleration curves in air."

Have you ever seen this curve on a golf ball? A golf ball is pretty aerodynamic and it has a very distinct and sudden deceleration curve. A nail, tumbling through the air is closer to a parachute than a golf ball in terms of being aerodynamic.

When are you going to stop this nonsense and admit that you've never witnessed it. It's beyond embarrassing.

Reply to
-MIKE-

You'll never do it any younger, son.

Reply to
Steve

On Thu, 27 May 2010 11:34:48 -0500, -MIKE- wrote the following:

Some heavy metal to take your mind off this drag:

--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. ---------------------------------------------------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

$ 2 million? Thats a hell of a deal for a $2 Billion dollar boat.

Anyone want to turn it into a hotel/shooting gallery and we can do regular tours of the waters around Somalia?

We'd be rich quick!!

Think of all the retired guys that would love to spend a week flying off it and shooting up pirates!! No ROE!!

And Ill bet we could get government subsidies!! from a half dozen nations!!! to cover our operating costs.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Mine is 500 meters, Larry. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

The BS is coming entirely from you. I don't have to launch a framing nail into the air in order to know that it is physically impossible to see one at 500 meters with the unaided eye, your fantasies to the contrary notwithstanding. Fifty meters is believable, barely; five hundred is not. You're either self-deluded or a liar.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Having only half a brain might also explain how one could think a framing nail is visible at that distance.

Reply to
Doug Miller

But very, very slender? :)

Hey, how ya been Needle-dick, you old bug f*cker you!?:)

Gad, I haven't thought of that old greeting since High School!

Reply to
John Husvar