compressed-air drills

We are getting away from what the original question is. I have not seen an air drill with a clutch only because they wouldn't be of much use. Air tools are specific in use not like electric which tries to cover many uses. So hence why they don't have a clutch because there are air impact drivers and air screwdrivers. I do agree that if air powered was better that you would see many more contractors using them (except nailers).

The question you have to ask yourself, is "Am I going to use it after the job is done?". If you don't have much other use for it beyond the scope of the deck, I wouldn't go that route. Then think about compressor capacity. Is your compressor capable of the scfm needed for the drill? Since it would be in use for longer durations, you need a compressor that is at least a 30 gallon or higher and able to deliver at least 8-9 scfm at 90 psi. Then if your compressor is smaller, it constantly has to play catch up and then it is running nonstop. It would be about the same as if you left your table saw running the entire time you were building the deck. Not very good on the electric bill.

I myself would go the cordless impact driver way since you said it is about 140 square feet. You said that your drill is about 7 years old. I would look at a drill/impact driver kit and keep your old one for the times you could use 2 drills. I doubt that you would find an impact driver kit that you could use the batteries on your old drill.

I have an air drill, It is nice for drilling wood because of the low torque and high rpm, but I would not try to drive screws with it.

Allen

Reply to
allen476

Thanks for the thoughtful response, Allen. I believe that you and a few others have talked me into looking at a new cordless drill instead...

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yeah, itches too much.

Shingle warranties are useless anyway.

Reply to
krw

I was doing a section of a walkout basement wall (pony), laying on the gravel inside of an fresh poured foundation. I raised the stud up a bit with a spare 2x4 to nail a plate on. The gun must have caught the bottom edge of the plate and enabled firing the nail. When I pulled the trigger my partner, holding the other ned plate on a 10' ceiling wall, jumped and screamed and was shot in the foot. I thought it was a joke but on removal of the safety-toed workboot, was a bruise just above the toe cap and a bent down toe cap, This nail went between both plates and the gravel they were sitting, almost ten feet and damaged the boot at the other end.

A busted thumb is nothing compared to the nail I have seen stuck in a person's breastbones and one through a guy's hand..yummm...LOL

I have shot things with them over half a km away. They definitely pack some power.

Anyway...our inspectors won't even enter a site until all nailguns are put down on the floor. Of coure the Electrical Inspector won't climb a ladder one step either.

-- "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life" --Elvin Jones (1927-2004)

Reply to
Josepi

I found that out the hard way too...LOL

"Here is some more of the defective shingles you installed"

On Mon, 24 May 2010 08:17:53 -0400, "Josepi" wrote: Shingle warranties are useless anyway.

Reply to
Josepi

What the heck do you know about rhythm? :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

Down beat and back beat.... that's about it. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Driving nails at creative angles can do wonders towards preventing them from popping out.

Reply to
Steve Turner

I was taught to drive opposing nails at a "V" which does wonders to increase holding power. (tangent)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Had the second lock out disabled ? - Typical production trick.

Mine has to pull the trigger and that is an AND push the nose in.

One or the other won't fire. Those in a hurry disable the double and have it nose only. Pull trigger and dance the gun. But dancing is dangerous as you pointed out.

Mart> I was doing a section of a walkout basement wall (pony), laying on the

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

That's the sound of the men working on the chain ga-a-ang That's the sound of the men working on the chain_gang

All day long they're singin' (Hooh! aah!) (hooh! aah!) (Hooh! aah!) (hooh! aah!)

Reply to
krw

I recall some years ago, a fellow was doing some work at..IRRC a McDonalds..and fired a nailgun into what he thought was a stud in the wall. It unfortunately was only sheetrock, and the nail killed one of the girls working there, some distance away.

I cant find it on the net..anyone?

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

What does that have to do with the discussion?

I stand corrected... it's muuuuuch more common to be shot 30 times in the head with a nail gun than hitting one's thumb with a hammer.

There's probably a reason you can't find it.

Reply to
-MIKE-

If the guy, from a few weeks ago, can paint with a nail gun, they must be dangerous projectiles. Video doesn't lie. You saw it! ;-)

BTW, I think the case in question was a Hilti. ...a little different beast than a pneumatic nailer.

Reply to
krw

I never liked to disable the second lock-out feature. Many of the framers do. You have to hold the sleeve back and pull the trigger. Make sure there are no houses within a mile of the shot though, and keep your fingers clear...LOL

Mine has to pull the trigger and that is an AND push the nose in.

One or the other won't fire. Those in a hurry disable the double and have it nose only. Pull trigger and dance the gun. But dancing is dangerous as you pointed out.

Martin

Reply to
Josepi

Here is 238,000 occurances to look through.

BTW, I think the case in question was a Hilti. ...a little different beast than a pneumatic nailer.

On Mon, 24 May 2010 23:07:24 -0500, -MIKE- wrote: There's probably a reason you can't find it.

Reply to
Josepi

Here is a link to a similar case, involving a ramset

Florida, 1973.

3" nail was fired through a wall, traveled across the room, hit her in the chest and exited out her back...after traveling through a 2x4 (deep width) and then bounced around the room finally coming to a rest.

Another one from 1967,,,,

Killing of an attacking pit bull dog, using a nail gun.

Gunner Asch

The old "bury 'em in bullshit" ploy. 238,000 hits on google indicates something very infrequent--"moon landing" gets more than 2 million and that has happened only six times in all of history.

Take out the references to scenes in movies, one incident in which someone was shot in the head 34 times with one, and "CSI: Miami" and that 238,000 goes to 54,000.

But it was your assertion that a specific incident occurred and now you can't show any evidence that it did.

It took me less than a minute to find , which seems to be the incident you have in mind. The device was a Ramset intended for sinking nails in concrete, which uses gunpowder, and which shot the nail completely through a 2x4. A framing nailer that shot nails completely through studs wouldn't be very useful now, would it?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Well, I'll say this for your eyesight - if you can see or track a 3.5" nail at nearly 500 meters with the naked eye, you've got some fabulous vision there. Not to mention quite an air nailer.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

On Mon, 24 May 2010 23:07:24 -0500, -MIKE- wrote the following:

Heh heh heh. I love that pic.

"It's proof that nailguns are dangerous to the user and should be banned!" some idiot (like Mrs. Brady) will say.

Reply to
Larry Jaques