Compressed air heater

I bought two military compressed air heaters, and am now doubting whether I should sell both, or sell one and keep another. What that thing does is connects to air line and blows hot air out of its heated nozzle. Size of two shoeboxes.

Kind of cool, but I am not sure what I can do with it that is useful and practical. Still, it is a small nifty thing and I know from my experience that I regretted getting rid of things like that in the past.

Any thoughts? What would be the practical applications of such a thing?

Ignoramus13229

Hmm... Cooling of a piece of work you are drilling or machining in bizarro world?

Seriously though, what temperature (range?) does it produce?

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

V8013

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

I am not sure about the temp range, but by feel I would say 200-300F.

Ignoramus13229

Reply to
Grant Erwin

ROTFLMAO

Ignoramus13229

Pastics welding of forming? Pat

Reply to
Pat Ford

Sounds like a great idea, I will give it a shot!

Ignoramus13229

From various pictures that I've seen of these units, I'd think they could be handy to have around.. somewhat like a flameless torch. You didn't say whether you have the handpieces (handheld part). I've noticed that some were used with nitrogen instead of air, although I don't know what specific purpose they were used for.

I suppose they would be great for setting shrink tubing and working different types of plastics. Plastic welding units have a low air output, more like a whisper of air, not a harsh stream like a blowgun for cleaning. The heat range might be suitable for no-contact desoldering of small to medium sized connections, or possibly larger junctions. I don't think these units would be suitable for a heavy duty application like plumbing connections.

Hot air can also be used for curing certain mixtures. Also handy for releasing some types of adhesives.

WB ................

Reply to
Wild Bill

Yes, I do have handpieces.

Maybe nitrogen would be useful because it doesnot start a fire as easily, as opposed to hot compressed air. Just a thought.

My unit can be adjusted.

Thanks! As one poster noted, blowing hot air can be useful for newsgroup participation!

Ignoramus13229

Are you sure it isn't meant ot re expand refrigerated dryed air? that's the only use I had heard of

Ignoramus13229 wrote:

Reply to
yourname

I have no idea, but my hunch is that you are more likely to be incorrect than correct.

Ignoramus5713

If it gets hotter than that, maybe try running something flamable through it to see if you can make a home-made, controllable blow torch / flame shooter? :)

Sorry... Just finished my time with a bunch of teenagers at a local group. As a volunteer leader, I'm required to think like them and although it's easy for me, I can't quite shake the thinking for a few days once I do it. :)

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Smaller versions are used on the flight line to shrink tubing. The tool has no parts hot enough to ignite fuel.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

Good for drying out tanks, if you have a need for that. When steam condensers are offline for an extended period, a device similar to this is used to dry the condenser out and prevent corrosion.

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

also, drying out things with solvent or water in them, and shrinking heat shrink tubing

Reply to
william_b_noble

I have a similar devise. (it is in storage at the moment though) I bought it from OTC ,if I remember correctly. It is about the size of a small cordless screwdriver. I was intended to be used for working on carburetors and thermo circuits on automobiles. Checking the chokes etc.... Blew hot on one end and very Cool on the other. Very neato idea, that's for sure. No idea how it works ???

Cj

Reply to
Cj Wilson

It'll be a Hilsch Vortex tube.

One explanation is here:-

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Yeah , That's it. That company makes a much nicer one than mine. Thanks for finding the 'How it works' page. A real slick idea ,for when it was first thought out !

Cj

Reply to
Cj Wilson

If its a vortex tube it should have a cold air outlet as well. very handy if you want to cool a cutting tool without water,oil or mess. Tom

Reply to
Tom Miller

Plastic welder?

Reply to