Compressor rating question

Sorry, I should have explained further. I have two catalogues for brand new compressors of a very similar design. The 150 litre compressors have

2 and 3 hp motors, so I was using this to make a rough guess of the motor size needed.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Okay, decided to pass on the Bristol too, but I'm assembling a 'shopping list' of requirements for a compressor. Good quality machine with cast iron pump, 10+ cfm, 2-4 hp, compact with fairly small receiver (probably vertical). Single phase or convertible. Cheap. Will keep on looking...

Thanks for the help,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Welcome!

Be sure to let us know how things turn out.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

I'm still pondering building a compressor from components to get the kind I want. I've seen a single phase 4 hp motor at a sensible price (a really solid 1950s or '60s Brook motor like I have on my power hacksaw), and I reckon I could get a pump. As I want it to be compact, I was thinking of having two small receivers on a trolley, then a second level to the trolley carrying the pump and motor, or vice versa. The upper level might be held by removable tubular supports so that the whole trolley could be disassembled if necessary. I don't really want the compressor to occupy more than 2' x 3' floor area. For the receivers I need a pair of perhaps 25-30 litres each. I was wondering if those tanks used to store air on trucks might be suitable? Anyone know the rough specifications of these?

Just throwing ideas around at the moment, wondering if this is a good idea (probably I only have time/money for one big design and make project this summer)...

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy