High Pressure Low Flow

I need to be able to pressurize a tank up to 500 psi, but only need 2-3 cfm. Is there cheap way to use my shop air to give me high pressure? I have looked at buying an air compressor, but this would cost me somewhere between $3000 - $20,000.

Reply to
Charisse

I believe that many inexpensive tire inflators can supposedly produce

300 PSI (whether they are really capable of it or not, is questionable). If you can lower your requirements for 300 psi, you could have some options.

A used Davey diesel powers high pressure compressur could cost about $1,500 from the military.

?id=976017

Reply to
Ignoramus7715

A pressure intensifier is one way, though I suspect 2-3 CFM will not be practical, especially if you need a continuous flow. I assume you mean

2-3 SCFM, i.e., the volume of air is specified at atmospheric pressure, not at 500 psi?

The concept is very simple; the devil is in the details. This page seems to concentrate on hydraulic and air/hydraulic intensifiers, but the idea is the same for air/air.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

What you want is a pressure intensifier. I don't know what they cost. They use two cylinders of different diameters linked together, and use low pressure air or fluid to compress air or fluid at a high pressure. Note that your shop air supply would have to be substantial, I would think that you would need around 20-30 cfm at 90 psi to get 500 psi at 3 cfm.

If you have a collection of air cylinders and valves lying around, you could build your own. That assumes that you understand pneumatics fairly well. However, that many cfm would be a challenge, I think, probably more than would be practical for a homebuilt unit.

Richard

Ignoramus7715 wrote:

Reply to
Richard Ferguson

What is your application? How much air would you use in the course of a day? You used to be able to purchase/rent a high pressure tank of ordinary air. Using a seriess of these for your application/project, if it's of short duration, might be much less expensive than purchasing equipment.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

--FWIW with a long enough lever you could do this with a hand pump. Not a tire inflator mind, but something like we use on steamboats for emergency water delivery. Kits for same available from various sources or make your own out of plumbing fittings and ball check valves.

Reply to
steamer

An ordinary refrigerator compressor will put out pretty high pressure at low flow and low cost, you can pick them up free from a junk yard. They do have to be oiled a couple of drops so if oil is a no-no you need an oil separator.

Reply to
Nick Hull

How about CO2 tanks? . It stores in the tank as a liquid so you get A LOT of volume for the money.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Scuba tank and a high pressure regulator?

Reply to
keith bowers

never use gas on both sides , its a double waste . get the heat out of the gas side so it takes far less HP . use a fluid on other side .....

Richard Fergus> What you want is a pressure intensifier. I don't know what they cost.

werty