Cool obituary

That's 6/27. From the same paper 7/7:

I'd guess that the 2 were written by a bitter son and a conformist husband, respectively. Makes for a bit of a dilemma for the paper.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Wow, vicious kid(s).

The first looks like an article written by liberal media about Trump, the second by Fox.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

More effects of today's spoiled kids.

Reply to
bruce2bowser

On 07/08/2017 9:31 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote: ...

Obits are paid for, like advertising; no dilemma... :)

Reply to
dpb

On 7/8/2017 10:57 PM, Larry Jaques wrote: ...

Do you think that maybe you have a political obsession? Just sayin'

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

That has to depend upon which version you believe. If she was a truly rotten mother, she probably didn't spoil the kids.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Ummm ... so, when that drunk, wife-beating, chiseling brother of mine* dies, I can buy an obit that tells all? How about that bastard neighbor* that gave my dog diarrhea? Or that lying, self serving, corrupt politician? Where's the line?

  • - hypothetical
Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

It'll be up to the policy of the newspaper and how much fact-checking they're into before placing the submitted copy. It'll have to be within their normal editorial policy on language and the like, what length they might go to on content would be their choice.

I'd guess when it comes to public figures the lines would likely get drawn more narrowly as well.

Reply to
dpb

Yes, what a family!

Reply to
Ignoramus13389

On 07/09/2017 12:20 PM, dpb wrote: ...

The difference is between the short, news "death notice" vis a vis the paid obit. Don't recall the line limit the local paper had when did last one for the folks but it wasn't but 5-7 lines or so before the pay per line kicked in.

I'd guess also on the acceptance would be largely dependent on who was doing the placing and relationship to deceased, etc. A total outsider on a public figure racking over the coals probably draw more question than a family member even given the uncomplimentary nature.

OTOH, wouldn't be the first time some bored typesetter decided to play a joke, either... :)

Reply to
dpb

A long time ago, it was common for the 'political correct' senior class that have tea and play a game during the week to write Obits. If the Obit was off or wrong - then a corrected one later down the way would occur. Grandfather was murdered by a family member. First obits was he shot himself in the back with his rifle and then burned his prize barn with his breeding stock of Morgan horses there to burn down. Not. The farm was out a way (3 farms actually) and one doesn't come to town after a death. It was several months before the new obit was published. Church was on the edge of the farm - in a section set out from the farm.

I have been looking at them - secretary of a fraternal org - and see two or three versions out on most people. First prelim and then full bore.

Mart> >> Obits are paid for, like advertising; no dilemma... :)

Reply to
Martin Eastburn