Craftsman metal lathe back gear adjustment

Good Morniong

I have a Craftsman metal lathe model 12L. I purchased the unit a couple of months ago and am learning how to use it. The way the unit was seated in the chip tray, the levers on the quick change gear box were restricted and would not go down far enough to allow them to move sideways to the different settings. Since I use the same mounting holes, I assume the owner had not used the QCG box. After cutting out a section of the chip tray to make the QCG work. I started to test the other parts of the lathe. When I tried to use the back gear, it would start in the slow speed, but then the lever and gear would move away from the spindle gear and go into the higher speed again. I tied a rubber band to the back gear lever to hold it in to position and this works but I feel there must be some sort of adjustment which will make it work properly and hold in position.

Comments would be appreciated.

Dick Hahn

Reply to
Dick

Dick fired this volley in news:9c4b599a-56b4- snipped-for-privacy@i20g2000prf.googlegroups.com: tied

There's a spring plunger detent pin that does the holding for you. Remove the backgear lever, and you'll see it. Your pin is stuck or missing.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Often the indentation for the ball will be worn from the Zamak casting, thus not capturing the detent ball decisively.

Reply to
RB

Hey, thanks guys! I'm not the OP, but I've had my 10F for 20 years and never knew that.

Just last night my son was assisting me at my Atlas 10F 10" standard change gear lathe when he stuck a rag right under the reverser gear box. I didn't see it happen. The lathe started to sound funny; loaded down, sorta, so I stopped it. The gearbox had swallowed the rag and probably would have broken something if I hadn't stopped.

To the (I assume) new owner of the lathe in question: If you should venture into the spindle area on your quest for tuning it up, be aware that there's a set screw somewhere on the spindle pulley that ISN"T a set screw. It simply covers an oil hole for the drive pulley, I think. Some people tighten this set screw down, thus ruining the spindle when you use backgear. (hope I said that right!)

Pete Stanaitis

RB wrote:

Reply to
spaco