Crashed Car Value?

Sort of OT, though fixing will involve metal working :-)

We have a 1997 Geo Prizm, same as Toyota Corolla, 205K miles. A crash tore up the rear drivers quarter panel, damaged trunk lid, bumper, etc... The rear wheel is out of alignment, must have bent something(s). When the roll-back brought it here they drove it off the back of the roll-back and pulled it up in the driveway. Engine runs fine, transmission works, would probably be drivable if the rear wheel was pointing correctly. Anyway I need to get rid of this now but I have no idea what to ask for it. Any rule of thumb for pricing cars for parts or repair? I just don't want to sell it for scrap metal when 85% of the parts are good.

Thanks

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

/ /How much time do you want to spend on this? / /Sell the parts and scrap the rest. / /With 205K miles on it, the motor and transmission are past their /prime. / /Good luck and let us know how it turns out. / /TMT

The engine and transmission should at least be worth the core, engine runs great and no transmission problems, but they do have a lot of miles. At least it's good enough shape someone could drive it up on their trailer. Maybe I'll advertise for parts and they can hear run and even drive it onto a trailer.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Geez Roger, you're awful hard on Prizms. Didn't you total one last year?

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

"RogerN" wrote in news:2rqdncms0-ZZwuXWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

You DID have Collision and/or Uninsured Motorist coverage on the car?

If so, don't be in too big of a hurry to part out the car - your Insurance Company may have quite a bit to say about it...

Reply to
RAM³

Yeah, the one I drove got totaled last year from a deer. The one my wife was driving got it this year. But a 13 year old car with 205K miles doesn't take a lot of damage to total it. This accident was my wife's fault, she swerved to try to miss an animal that ran out in front of her and a truck came up over the hill while she was in the wrong lane. It could have been a head-on but fortunately they both swerved and the impact was behind the rear door, just behind the gas cap. I hope she learned next time hit the animal instead of the truck :-)

I think I'm going to start buying Ford Rangers and put brush guards and skid plates on them for the animals, I guess it's part of the cost of living out of town!

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

if you are in a hurry, $500 to $700, if you are not, part it out piece by piece and get more

Reply to
Bill Noble

I'd be pretty happy with that much, I just don't want to sell if for those advertising to pay $75 to $150 for salvage cars. I'll maybe advertise it for $700 and go down from there.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

We had a 84 Oldsmobile a few years back with 120,000 miles and a fresh remanufactured engine with about 500 miles on it. The car drove great, everything worked, but the wife totalled it. I sold the car complete for $750 and felt lucky to do so! I was furtunate that two friends needed Olds parts, one wanted the engine, the other wanted the tranny and sold them the whole car. In your case it is worth what ever you can get, and with 200K on it I would not expect much. After all, what is a '97 Prizim that runs worth?? If it was mine, the first guy that showed up with any amout of moey would own the car.

Reply to
Greg O

You might be surprised. We sold my wife's Camry with over 250K on it for $1200. It was running and in OK condition, but uninspectable due to an airbag failure. It sold 20 minutes after I listed it on Craigslist to a guy who came 150 miles twice, once to look at the car and pay for it, and again a few days later to take it home.

I had very similar experience with a Nissan pickup that was also uninspectable because the frame was rusted out. There was a feeding frenzy on Craiglslist over that at $800.

My daughter sold a Saab for parts on Craigslist with similar results.

If the parts are in fact compatible with a Corolla I'll bet the demand is pretty high.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

If he's in a hurry about $75. That's all they are worth up here unless you find someone who NEEDS the parts that are still good on it and doesn't care about the mileage. Lots of lower mileage corolla engines and mechanicals around cheap. If the body is rust free, you could likely sell the body panels for significantly more IF you find someone who is wanting to replace body panels on a 13 year old prizm.

Reply to
clare

$150 for a salvage car is robbery -- junkyards here in Indianapolis will pay $300, minimum, for anything that you can drive to them.

Reply to
Doug Miller