Moving a Disabled Car

I've got a 1999 Honda in my driveway. It's in perfectly good shape except for the driver's side front, where #1 son scraped the side off of a Hyundai a couple of months ago. I need to get it under cover so I can maybe even get some work done on it, or at least wait until business improves enough that I can get it worked on.

Having finally gotten the driveway gate done and installed (in a rare Oregon snow storm), I have room in the shop for the car. But the left front suspension is mangled enough that the wheel won't roll. If the driveway were more firmly packed I'd just put the floor jack under the wheel and roll it with that -- but I'm afraid that it'll just sink into the gravel/fir needle mix instead.

So -- assuming that the jack won't work, does anyone have any suggestions? I've got a small tractor with a loader on it; if there was some way I could get under the car to pick up that corner and pull or push the car, I could do wonderful things -- I'm thinking maybe a bar that engages the shipping tiedown and some strong-looking suspension part, that extends enough that I could pick the car up with chains on the loader.

Any other suggestions (even "don't do that, you'll be killed" guidance) is welcome. At worst I could rent a dolly from U-haul -- but I'm trying to figure out a way that requires zero cash layout, and still gets the car into the warm & dry.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I would make an anchor in the concrete and drag the car with a 1.5 ton ratchet hoist.

Ignoramus28206

(...)

A sheet of 1" plywood placed as a surface for your floor jack?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Would replacing the wheel with the 'donut' spare tire get you enough clearance to roll?

Pete

Reply to
Pete Snell

Get out the gas axe and cut away everything that keeps the wheel from rolling?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Tim Wescott wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking on Mon, 28 Feb 2011 14:30:17 -0800:

What kind of equipment have you got?

I once dragged my neighbors car with my Jeep, to keep it from being towed (too close to a driveway). I used a chain to the front hooks on the jeep to the towing loop under their front bumper. The height difference between the two points caused weight to be added to the Jeep and lessened on the car.

Could you put a makeshift "ski" under the errant wheel, and drag it over sand or gravel placed ahead of it? Got any dollies around?

got any wood around? You might make a sled that would ride on a greased 2X4.

Could you take the diagonally opposite wheel off and load the trunk to make it teeter on two wheels?

Reply to
dan

Set the jack on a plank.

Wes

Wes

IF the "bumper" on the pull vehicle is stout, and IF you have enough room, hook the chain on to the lowest point you can get ahold of dead vehicle. Hook other end of chain to high point on pulling vehicle "bumper". When doing this, have vehicles touching, or put dead tire or bumper to prevent damage. Even jack dead vehicle up on that corner. Slowly apply pressure by pulling the pulling vehicle ahead. Chain should go diagonal, giving it a little lift, maybe enough to shove a piece of plywood under it to keep from gouging up the dw too bad. Other than that, some type of dolly with big enough wheels so it won't sink into the dirt. Maybe jack it up and shove a

2 wheeler under it? Don't forget to inflate the two wheels hard. Hard to say without seeing it. Try to get it up on something and drag it, or get a dolly under it. Maybe in the middle of the front to hold up both front wheels. Maybe remove the other front wheel, too? Inflate rear wheels hard, and be sure to be in neutral. duh.

Let us know how it goes, or can you post a pic?

SteveB

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Download the book $10

SteveB

I was gonna say, put a plank on the driveway to roll the floor jack on, but I read on - you have a _LOADER_???

Definitely, use it, assuming it'll lift the corner or even the whole front of the car.

You won't be killed if you follow ordinary, safe work practices.

Have Fun! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

That's one of the things I can try, fer sure.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Y'know, the neat thing about polling the group for ideas is that y'all tell me things that I'd toyed with, but forgotten. Yes -- it's worth a try. The steering is borked, but rolling and not steering is a lot better than not rolling.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

That's two votes -- if the compact spare idea doesn't work, that'll do. I'll have to keep moving the plank, 'cause I'm more than one plank's length* away. But that's a little itty bitty problem.

  • And way more than a Planck Length --
Tim Wescott

The loader, as is, will really mess up the front of the car -- and it's not a very big one so I'm not sure it'll pick the damn thing up anyway.

I could make a gizmo to clamp or bolt onto the loader on one side, and the front tie-downs on the other, but it may take more time than a plank and a jack.

Otherwise I'd just go do it.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

If the tractor is strong enough, I'd try lifting the corner with nylon slings and towing the car along that way. Otherwise put a wood or metal sled under the dead wheel, secured at the front of the car and just drag the car along with the tractor, a truck, or whatever is handy.

Reply to
Pete C.

You might even get added clearance by putting the wheel on inside out, so it dishes away from the hub... Depends on whether the interference is sheet metal or suspension components...

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

I have moved cars by jacking up with a bumper jack and then tipping the jack in the directior I want the car to move. It is slow as you only move the car a foot or so everytime you jack up the car.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

The last time that I had a car that could be raised with a bumper jack was 1958. Or maybe 1962. Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Rope around the tiedowns, padding across the bumper, and a chain up to the back of the bucket. Pick 'er up, flip 'er around, and back 'er into the garage with that tractor in ten minutes flat.

Got a hand truck? Pop the wheels off it, put a 1" square tube (or whatever you have) under the jacked-up Honda unibody at the front, and insert long bolts to hold the wheels on. Adjust angles with a jack under the back once you get it onto the pavement.

-- Invest in America: Buy a CONgresscritter today!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'd also put a strip of 12gage or so galvanized sheetmetal ontop of the plywood ( takes two strips and you gotta keep moving one of them up to the front )

--basically that's what Metro did when they rigged into my shop, IIRC their machinery dollies had ball bearings ~6203 or so size six per skate and four skates total...the heaviest machine was ~ 16000 lbs

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

I've moved hot tubs and all but one of my machines on overlapping 3/4 plywood and a dolly or two. dolly: 4 casters and wood.

Long ago I burnt up the engine on my Audi and a friend said he'd go get it for me cause he needed something off of it. He put a cable around and under the car just in front of the doors and picked it up with a boom truck. Crushed the hell out of the body, car was newly reconditioned.

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper