Moving a Disabled Car

I've got a 1999 Honda in my driveway. It's in perfectly good shape except for the driver's side front, where #1 son scraped the side off of
a Hyundai a couple of months ago. I need to get it under cover so I can maybe even get some work done on it, or at least wait until business improves enough that I can get it worked on.
Having finally gotten the driveway gate done and installed (in a rare Oregon snow storm), I have room in the shop for the car. But the left front suspension is mangled enough that the wheel won't roll. If the driveway were more firmly packed I'd just put the floor jack under the wheel and roll it with that -- but I'm afraid that it'll just sink into the gravel/fir needle mix instead.
So -- assuming that the jack won't work, does anyone have any suggestions? I've got a small tractor with a loader on it; if there was some way I could get under the car to pick up that corner and pull or push the car, I could do wonderful things -- I'm thinking maybe a bar that engages the shipping tiedown and some strong-looking suspension part, that extends enough that I could pick the car up with chains on the loader.
Any other suggestions (even "don't do that, you'll be killed" guidance) is welcome. At worst I could rent a dolly from U-haul -- but I'm trying to figure out a way that requires zero cash layout, and still gets the car into the warm & dry.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott wrote:

(...)
A sheet of 1" plywood placed as a surface for your floor jack?
--Winston
On 02/28/2011 03:05 PM, Winston wrote:

That's one of the things I can try, fer sure.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'd also put a strip of 12gage or so galvanized sheetmetal ontop of the plywood ( takes two strips and you gotta keep moving one of them up to the front )
--basically that's what Metro did when they rigged into my shop, IIRC their machinery dollies had ball bearings ~6203 or so size six per skate and four skates total...the heaviest machine was ~ 16000 lbs
Would replacing the wheel with the 'donut' spare tire get you enough clearance to roll?
Pete
--
Pete Snell
Department of Physics
On 02/28/2011 03:13 PM, Pete Snell wrote:

Y'know, the neat thing about polling the group for ideas is that y'all tell me things that I'd toyed with, but forgotten. Yes -- it's worth a try. The steering is borked, but rolling and not steering is a lot better than not rolling.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
On 2/28/2011 7:12 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:

You might even get added clearance by putting the wheel on inside out, so it dishes away from the hub... Depends on whether the interference is sheet metal or suspension components...
On 02/28/2011 04:43 PM, Stuart Wheaton wrote:

The update on that is that it's too borked to get even a compact spare on.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I think Stuart wins best obvious simple why-didn't-I-think-of-that solution award.
Steve
Tim Wescott wrote:

Get out the gas axe and cut away everything that keeps the wheel from rolling?
Tim Wescott wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking on Mon, 28 Feb 2011 14:30:17 -0800:

What kind of equipment have you got?
I once dragged my neighbors car with my Jeep, to keep it from being towed (too close to a driveway). I used a chain to the front hooks on the jeep to the towing loop under their front bumper. The height difference between the two points caused weight to be added to the Jeep and lessened on the car.
Could you put a makeshift "ski" under the errant wheel, and drag it over sand or gravel placed ahead of it? Got any dollies around?
got any wood around? You might make a sled that would ride on a greased 2X4.
Could you take the diagonally opposite wheel off and load the trunk to make it teeter on two wheels?
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.

IF the "bumper" on the pull vehicle is stout, and IF you have enough room, hook the chain on to the lowest point you can get ahold of dead vehicle. Hook other end of chain to high point on pulling vehicle "bumper". When doing this, have vehicles touching, or put dead tire or bumper to prevent damage. Even jack dead vehicle up on that corner. Slowly apply pressure by pulling the pulling vehicle ahead. Chain should go diagonal, giving it a little lift, maybe enough to shove a piece of plywood under it to keep from gouging up the dw too bad. Other than that, some type of dolly with big enough wheels so it won't sink into the dirt. Maybe jack it up and shove a 2 wheeler under it? Don't forget to inflate the two wheels hard. Hard to say without seeing it. Try to get it up on something and drag it, or get a dolly under it. Maybe in the middle of the front to hold up both front wheels. Maybe remove the other front wheel, too? Inflate rear wheels hard, and be sure to be in neutral. duh.
Let us know how it goes, or can you post a pic?
SteveB
Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Download the book $10 http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Set the jack on a plank.
On 02/28/2011 03:32 PM, Wes wrote:

That's two votes -- if the compact spare idea doesn't work, that'll do. I'll have to keep moving the plank, 'cause I'm more than one plank's length* away. But that's a little itty bitty problem.
* And way more than a Planck Length -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_length .
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I've moved hot tubs and all but one of my machines on overlapping 3/4 plywood and a dolly or two. dolly: 4 casters and wood.
Long ago I burnt up the engine on my Audi and a friend said he'd go get it for me cause he needed something off of it. He put a cable around and under the car just in front of the doors and picked it up with a boom truck. Crushed the hell out of the body, car was newly reconditioned.
SW
Tim Wescott wrote:

I was gonna say, put a plank on the driveway to roll the floor jack on, but I read on - you have a _LOADER_???
Definitely, use it, assuming it'll lift the corner or even the whole front of the car.
You won't be killed if you follow ordinary, safe work practices.
Have Fun! Rich
On 02/28/2011 04:11 PM, Rich Grise wrote:

The loader, as is, will really mess up the front of the car -- and it's not a very big one so I'm not sure it'll pick the damn thing up anyway.
I could make a gizmo to clamp or bolt onto the loader on one side, and the front tie-downs on the other, but it may take more time than a plank and a jack.
Otherwise I'd just go do it.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Rich Grise wrote:

A nice helium weather balloon hooked to the fender. :)
John
Tim Wescott wrote:

If the tractor is strong enough, I'd try lifting the corner with nylon slings and towing the car along that way. Otherwise put a wood or metal sled under the dead wheel, secured at the front of the car and just drag the car along with the tractor, a truck, or whatever is handy.