anyone have an old little pipe vise?

I have a method of carrying long items on top of my Ford Explorer. It works great for flat bar and angle, but it's difficult to fasten pipe to. I have a little chain-type pipe vise, a Craftsman No. 1, which I can mount on the forward outboard support. I'd like to find another one for the rear outboard support. These pipe vises are very common and don't cost much when I run across one, but right now I'm looking for one. If you have one you'd like to divest yourself of please drop me an email. Don't do reply-to, rather click on:

(sorry, it's an antispam thing).

Grant Erwin Kirkland, Washington

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Yesterday I brought a couple of 10 foot lengths of 1x4 pressure treated wood back from Home Cheepo by roping them to the right side front and rear door handles of my car, with a couple of rags Duck taped onto them to pad the spots where they touched the bodywork.

It's not the first time I've done that, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the inventor of that technique, though I've never observed anyone else using it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

works good for 21 ft 1 in. dia black pipe too. :)

John

Reply to
John

Another good trick is to tie the pipe UNDER the vehicle, to the front and rear bumpers. Much easier if you are alone since you don't need anyone to hold up one end while you tie the other ;)

If doing this with wood or plastic, make sure you avoid the cat converter and other hot items.

Reply to
Nick Hull

Works most rickytic. See this a lot here in the oilfields, pickup or gang truck carrying a couple joints of pipe around the lease.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

That should work fine for trucks or other vehicles with "real" bumpers on 'em.

Hell, I can't even find a decent way to hook a bungee cord to hold the trunk lid down on an oversized object I need to take someplace. I'd probably have to "get out and get under" on my back to find anything I could tie onto front and rear.

Back when I learned to drive in my dad's '47 Olds, cars DID have bumpers. I was thinking about it not an hour ago when I was stopped in traffic and noticed SWMBO's car was right ahead of me. In the olde days I would have moved forward slowly and "tapped" her car's bumper with mine, sort of like giving someone a "hello" pat on their bottom.

Try that now and the combined damage would probably cost at least $2,000 to repair.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 11:42:45 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Jeff Wisnia quickly quoth:

All these little POS cars have metal tiedowns front and rear, and almost (but not quite) 4" of clearance under 'em.

Yeah, I remember those from the early Sixties. Back then, the CHROME was thick enough to withstand a few scrapes, too. Now it's vacuum deposited on plastic, fer Buddhassake.

No doubt. But it would be a good way to learn auto body panel repair and plastic welding, wot? Lose/Win/Win!

-- Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. -- Charles Lindbergh

Reply to
Larry Jaques

One advantage (besides 38MPG, w/AC on, city driving) of an import with tie down points.

Bumpers also used to have slots to engage a bumper jack, I have a set of hooks and rings for tying down the canoe. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller