Curly wire on a 110V AC gear motor

I have a small 100VAC gear motor in a piece of 30 year old British polishing
equipment. The manufacturer is Parvalox. The inputs to the motor are 2 white
wires and a blue-grey curly wire.
Presently, 1 of the white wires is disconnected and it was working in that
condition.
Question: What is the significance of the curly wire?
Thanks -Ira
Reply to
Ira Rubinson
It causes the entering electrons to begin the swirling motion for proper polishing. Be careful when you reconnect the curly wire or you may cause the polish to swirl in the opposite direction.
Bob Swinney
Reply to
Robert Swinney
C'mon, that's just silly.
It counteracts the natural rotation of the electrons so the power isn't wasted in rotational friction. If you're in the southern hemisphere you have to wind the coil in the opposite direction.
Robert Sw> It causes the entering electrons to begin the swirling motion for proper
Reply to
Mike Berger
Oooppps ! Sorry, I forgot about the hemispherical connotations. Note to Iggy: "See, Iggy, there's nothing to this here electrical stuff. All you have to do is treat it like water flow and everything comes out right."
Bob Swinney
Reply to
Robert Swinney
And you can buy a California version, where that wire is straight. We want our electrons to be really laid back, duude.
And in 'Frisco..they sell a version that has lots of wires..all the same polarity, but most of them are pretty curly and kinky.
This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)
Reply to
Gunner
Hi Bob... Still trying to make me upset?
Ignoramus10518
Naw, Ig -- just checking to see if you really plonked me as you said you did.
Bob (can't upset a troll) Swinney
Reply to
Robert Swinney
So, you need my attention, right?
Ignoramus10518
Errrr , I'll have to try that tonight.
BS -- My initials and also abrev. for most content from Igiot.
Reply to
Robert Swinney
Get a room you two.
Jon
Reply to
Jon Danniken
May Allah forbid !
Bob Swinney
Reply to
Robert Swinney
Ignoring all of the bollocks...
I've got a Parvalux motor with my kit of bits for building a Quorn grinder and it has two white plus one blue-grey wire (not curly). I didn't manage to find the connection diagram last night and had to go to hospital today. Hopefully, I'll feel a bit less fragile tomorrow and will be able to find the diagram.
two minutes later:-
Hah! No need. Looky here:-

Regards
Mark Rand RTFM
Reply to
Mark Rand
Mark,
Here's hoping your stay in hosp. was a brief one and not to be repeated in the forseeable future.
Bob Swinney
Reply to
Robert Swinney
The quack at the hospital, after six attempts to find an artery to stick the catheter thing into, did his thing with the X-rays and the dye and pronounced that there was nothing wrong with my heart. Buggered if I know how I get the angina then! Maybe I need to walk to work more often and dig the garden more than once a year.
Just got to avoid heavy lifting for another day or two. This is a nuisance, since I've got an 8"x24" mag chuck that I need to lift off of the grinder.
Mark Rand RTFM
Reply to
Mark Rand