How to wire up a remote switch?

I have an old glycol cooler and I want to wire in a remote switch (RF type). The cooler consists of a fan, radiator, and pump. There are two electrical cables going in to the cooler each with red, green, brown, blue wires. Does anyone want to guess what the extra red wire is for? My remote switch only has brown, green and blue wires. I am thinking about just connecting the switch to the brown wire - would this work? Also, the rating for the switch is 1200watts and would this be able to handle the load for the pump motor? Sorry for the sketchy information. I am not an electrician and don't have a user manual for the cooler.

Reply to
John Smith

With out more information I assume that your cooler may be 3 phase of undetermined size. If correct I would put an 3 pole relay of the correct size in the start circuit and let your RF remote connect to the coil of the relay. You really should consider some professional help before you make a mistake and destroy or hurt the equipment or personnel

Reply to
SQLit

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 19:16:42 GMT, John Smith put forth the notion that...

If this is a single phase fan, the extra leads are probably for different fan speeds.

Reply to
Checkmate

I guess there is a fan speed control somewhere. There is a thing inside that looks like the coil you would find in a car. I wonder if this is some kind of thermostat or transformer. Something controls the speed because the pump gets louder during hotter weather and the fan speeds up.

There is another kind of guage thing inside with wires going into it and it reads in PSI. I guess this is Pounds Per Square Inches. What this is for, I have no idea.

My main concern is where to put my remote switch module as I don't want to overload it and burn it out. If I could just find a simple way to turn the pump motor on/off with the RF switch module, then that would be ideal. I don't care if the fan keeps running.

I'll take some photos of the thing and put them online.

Remote Control Converter is capable of switching 240 volts AC up to 5 amps via a single pole relay.

Reply to
John Smith

Well, SQLit, I didn't know what a relay was until you mentioned it. So I would need to connect up a battery to my rf switch module to power the relay, is this correct?

Reply to
John Smith