cutting nylon

I need to cut a gentle curve through the long dimension of several

1/2"x1/2"x1" pieces of hard nylon stock (making soft jaws for bending pliers). I tried using a bandsaw and the two pieces welded together behind the blade. Is there a lubricant I can use that will keep the stuff from melting while I cut it?
Reply to
Mouse

DiHydrogenMonOxide should do fine. That's water if you don't get the silly. Compressed air should also work, and be less messy (but loud). Cutting (blade speed) slower might also do it.

Or, use a coping saw (which is basically an extreme case of slowing it down, by changing to a handsaw).

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Less TPI

Reply to
Buerste

Compressed air might even work and be less messy than other options.

The "weld" is not very deep and can probably be split apart if you scrape the edge a bit, or if you have an edge that did not share the same saw pass.

Another trick is to place a layer of masking tape between the layers where you cut through the two pieces.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Yep about 3 or 4 TPI should do fine. ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

On Sat, 15 May 2010 21:35:12 -0400, "Buerste" wrote the following:

Fewer filling.

-- Work and struggle and never accept an evil that you can change. -- Andre Gide

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You do realize that chemical is the leading greenhouse gas, right?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

It's much worse than that. Take a look at

Browse around the site a little, and you will soon be convinced that we must ban this controversial substance.

Reply to
Robert Roland

Oh My God! Why isn't there a law banning it?

John B. Slocomb (johnbslocombatgmaildotcom)

Reply to
John B. Slocomb

Coarser teeth on the blade; slower cutting speed.

John B. Slocomb (johnbslocombatgmaildotcom)

Reply to
John B. Slocomb

On Sat, 15 May 2010 20:00:20 -0700, "Jon Danniken" wrote the following:

It's dangerous as hell in its solid (frozen) form, its liquid normal form, and its vaporous form. It should be banned now!

-- Work and struggle and never accept an evil that you can change. -- Andre Gide

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Maybe the Tea Party will take that up as a campaign goal.

Reply to
Mike Henry

What's that Lassie? You say that John B. Slocomb fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Sun, 16 May 2010 19:10:40 +0700:

dan

It is most destructive when combined with KANO. Kinetically Activated Nitrogen Oxygen.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

"Mike Henry" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news6.newsguy.com:

Can't make tea without it...

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Quite true but it's so much more dangerous as the DHMO has to be boiling or nearly so for good results. Surprising that anyone take the risks at all in the first place but they then go on and often add an animal derived emulsion, sometimes plant derived disaccharides, then quaff the stuff in quantity.

Reply to
David Billington

Was this a woodworking only bandsaw?

If capable of metalworking speeds:

1) Set to the slowest speed it has.

2) Put in a brand new sharp blade.

3) Don't push too hard.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I guess I forgot the :-) John B. Slocomb (johnbslocombatgmaildotcom)

Reply to
John B. Slocomb

Nylon is also fairly hygroscopic and would likely swell some with exposure to water. Probably not important for your sawing operation.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

What's that Lassie? You say that John B. Slocomb fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Mon, 17 May 2010 14:30:00 +0700:

Yah, I got it, just thought I'd show others how close to having a law against it we were.

Reply to
dan