Cutting railroad rail with a bandsaw

I haven't tried it so you may be right... but a slitting blade acts much different than a grinding blade. You have to be really careful with them and not let them twist in the cut or you will end up with pieces flying all over. Anyway, I would give it a try and then try cutting it with a hand hack saw and see how it acted...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Yeah, it's certainly worth a try. I think it's pretty clever of Iggy to think of selling those pieces. Now we'll see how practical it is to do at a reasonable cost.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I've been really impressed with the "ultra thin" slitting wheels made by Diablo, but they are spendy. The HF ones come in second place, and are a lot cheaper so I usually just buy those. The thin wheels not only last longer but they cut quicker as well.

I go really slow and make sure everything is lined up straight and square, and make sure I'm covered up really good (safety glasses + faceshield and a leather apron at a minimum).

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

As someone else noted you can cut them with a bandsaw set up for friction sawing or you can use one of the abrasive cut off wheel machines that are small enough that they can be moved around. Local shops that sell random lengths of steel routinely use them on a daily basis so I assume that wheel life is reasonable..

Reply to
John B.

There as a lot of well annealed rail over in Lac Magentic Quebec.

Reply to
clare

If you succeed in this, I want one. Keep us updated.

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

Plenty of scrap metal as well. I don't know if Iggy has the appropriate paperwork together for international scrap metal dealing though...

Reply to
Pete C.

OK I will let you know. Thanks.

Ignoramus6946

What are you figuring in to the cost of plasma cutting? I consider compressed air pretty much free.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I haven't tried it myself but 65+ years ago my grandfather cut his 2' length in half with a hand hacksaw in order to share it with a neighbour.

Reply to
geraldrmiller

Soft anvils are preferred by coyotes by a ratio of 9:1. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

How about, if it's hard enough to be rough on bandsaw blades, cut into the top surface with a chop saw, just enough to get through the work hardened surface.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Isn't ALL Acme stuff soft?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Everything except their patented STUPID PUTTY ®©?, which becomes harder than a diamond within 63 picoseconds of opening the package. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

NOT the Anvils!!

and they are Heavy too!!

Reply to
Gunner Asch

You're forgetting the consumables - electrode, nozzle. There is a fairly well defined cost per inch of cut.

Reply to
Pete C.

I have one friend with a plasma cutter and he says costs are negligible. I offered to buy him new electrode and nozzle when he cut and welded my winch platform, but he said he gets a year or two out of each, and he had a decade's worth now. He said he uses 5x more consumables on his TIG machine than he does on the plasma. Then again, he's not cutting RR track...

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Acme know questions and I'll tell you know lyes. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Wile E. just told me that pun hurt more than the anvils.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

He told me you'd tell that lye...

Reply to