Cutting rolled sheet metal like suasage

Has anyone ever done this? I need some 2 inch wide 10 ft lengths of aluminium flashing, but the closest I've found is 10 inches wide. Can I wrap the whole roll with masking tape and cut off 2 inch slices?

TIA- Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

Cut it with what? It would probably work well on a band saw. Perhaps re-roll onto a chunk of 4" PVC pipe to provide a supporting core for the inner layers.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

You will have "big fun" when the end of the roll catches the $whatever saw. Your sausage will end up like spaghetti. :-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

If you try it, I'd put a fine pitch blade on backwards. Wear gloves and eye protection.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

Carl:

Roll flashing onto 6" dia. cardboard tube, you can get this from a carpet store.

Tape it using filament packaging tape so it can't get undone.

Clamp it to a piece of wood so it can't roll.

Then cut in bandsaw.

Or use a hand saw and hold the roll in a workmate.

Let us know how you make out!

Wolfgang

Carl Byrns wrote:

Reply to
wfhabicher

It can (has) been done. The gotcha is that if the flashing has a bitumen adhesive layer, It'll bugger up the bandsaw blade and tyres. These will need cleaning with some of Harold's Stoddard solvent or similar DAMHIKT! If the flashing doesn't have an adhesive layer, then just have at it. The roll should be tight and the ends should be taped down, other than that, just feed it in gently and you shouldn't have any major problems.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I think the edges would be a bit nasty. I don't know what you are using it for, you can buy 2" gravel stop and fold the edge over. If you have a brake, slide out 2" at a time, score with a sheetrock knife and bend back and forth until it breaks off.

Reply to
ATP*

What's gravel stop and where do I find it? I'm building a utility trailer and I want to flash all the exterior corners.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

It's an edge for putting around the perimeter of flat roofs. There are also various pre-bent products for rake edges. They are usually 2" by 2" approximately. Home Depot usually has a selection, although a commercial roofing/siding supplier might have more.

Reply to
ATP*

A sign maker will probably have a slitter that would make short work of cutting your pieces.

John

Reply to
John

According to Carl Byrns :

What I would consider would be 2" rollers on alternating shafts, geared together so they rotate towards each other. The edges should be sharp, and the two are set up so they just barely overlap.

Feed the 10" wide strip into that with the rollers slowly turned by a motor and guides on the outside, and it should cleanly slice it into five 2" wide strips.

A lot of work for just one roll, but if you have a lot to do, it should be well worthwhile.

I've got a tiny example which was made by Kroy for trimming off excess width on the tapes produced by their older label makers.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

No gearing required. I have a similar tool that rides right on the siding brake.

The traditional way is to score with a utility knife, then fold...

Reply to
Rick

Ok, I re-read your post and see what you're saying about the gears...

There's also a hand crank or electric slitter/bead/louver tool available to handle standard 24 inch wide rolls...

Reply to
Rick

Table saw with a fine tooth/kerf blade goes through it like sardines though a seagull. And really easy to do on a table saw, simply set the fence, have a helper on the other end and go.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

You're right. Cutting with a saw will leave very rough edges. Scouring with a sharp knife will make fine edges. If you don't have a brake, put your alluminum sheet between two pieces of board to allow for a straight cut. Hope this helps

J.P.

Reply to
J.P.

Furthermore, the best knive to do this kind of job is the Olpha knife, model P800

J.P.

Reply to
J.P.