cutting welded rebar

I need to remove 100 feet of 1/4" flat plate that is attached to my shop floor. Every foot the plate is attached to the floor with 1/2" rebar that is welded in the center of the plate. When the shop floor was poured, the pieces of rebar were concreted in and stuck 1/2" above the slab. Then the 1/4" plate was drilled every foot for the rebar, laid down flat on the slab, and welded. To remove it I've considered using a 7" grinder(very slow), trying to use a torch at an angle(difficult since the plate is solid against the concrete) and using a gouging electrode and a prybar. Any and all might work, but I'm sure open to some better ideas.

Reply to
tomd

I would try hitting the top of the weld with your angle grinder to get a flat spot. Center punch what you think is the middle, and drill with

1/2 inch or 5/8 inch drill to eliminate weld. If you get the concrete hot with the torch it will pop off bits of cement at you.

Dan

tomd wrote:

Reply to
dcaster

Several things come to mind. My first idea is to use a carbide tipped hole saw in a mag drill and cut through the plate around the rebar and weld area. I suggest the mag drill as you can control the depth so you are not trying to punch through the concrete. You might be able to hold just a little shy of all the way.

Another thing to think about is why the steel plate is there in the first place. From your description this sounds like the 1/4" plate might very well be a structural component of your building and removing this may cause a world of grief. If a smooth floor is your goal, you might wish to consider a self leveling compound to top everything off and leave the plate in place. I strongly urge you to consult with a structural engineer before you remove the plate.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

If you torch it you'll spall the concrete.

Reply to
Ben Jackson

Rent or own a magnetic base Drill - core drill around the rebar - e.g. 1" holes. Then lift off the plate and cut circles off as wanted - torch or real metal work

- a good sledge and cold chisel.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I would pull up one or two plates by whatever laborious means are available--even grinding, so you can get a look at the concrete. Since the floor was poured with the expectation that it would be covered with steel, it may not be well finished. If it's going to require a topcoat to make it usable, there may not be much downside to using a torch on the steel anchor points. It would be a big waste to take up the steel very carefully, only to find that you don't have a good surface under there anyway.

Remember, also, that you are going to have to deal with all those re-bar stubs. It may turn out that the easiest way is to cover them with an inch or so of new concrete.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Man, that's going to be a LOT of work, no matter how you do it. WHY do you want it removed? It could be an advantage having it there. For instance, you could use it as a giant welding table. You could tack weld pieces in place to hold them. You could weld machinery anchors to it. You could weld jigs to it for large frame-ups or bending patterns. A lot easier to do and change than drilled anchors in concrete. Think about it. Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Wet the concrete floor down, cut with torch.

Reply to
bamboo