damndelion killer

Ok----- on my hand weed sprayer, I spliced in length of 1/4" soft copper line. The splices were made with brass tube of the correct size. Pretty easy to do...start with brass wand, cut, section in splices--done.. maybe 5 minutes.. now the spray wand is maybe ankle high when in use..ED

Reply to
ED

approximately 18 pounds and 12 ounces :-|

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Useless bloody stuff... doesn't work worth a damn on horsetails (Equisetum arvense). Ammonium sulphamate works extremely well and degrades to ammonium sulphate in the soil. Trouble is that it was banned in Europe this year and my stocks will run out in two or three years time :-(

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Yup; somehow I multipled in my head by 4.54 and took a bit off for oil being less than water.

20 pounds will still get heavy after a while out in the sun...
Reply to
_

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 00:09:44 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, _ quickly quoth:

Having done something similar, I can honestly say "That it does."

I bought a 93887 padded belt

at the old HFT store and used that strapped through the handle of the 20 pound propane tank for use with my weed burner. It was bulky to haul around, but it worked for a strong guy like me. Next time, I'll strap the tank to the pneumatic-wheeled hand truck. (The cold tank froze my legs! ;)

-- Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. -- Earl Warren

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Where do you get that in a concentrated form. I've seen it as VERY small percentage in the stuff at the box stores. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Any sprayer with a long wand after the valve will continue to drip after the valve is closed. It seems the valve is needed at the tip somehow. ?????? ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

A no drip check valve at the end before the nozzle perhaps such as-

----->

$4.95 Or a bit of quality time on the lathe...brass bar, small spring and a steel ball.. ED

Reply to
ED

The local ag supply has it in 41% in multiple grades---liquid gold. Roundup Ultra or Rodeo , look at the label..the consumer grade stuff is reduced concentration.

Bindweed what I can't seem to get a handle on seeds stay viable for 90 years....at least its feedable. Dicamba works but has too much residials...ED

Reply to
ED

Why would Ammonium sulphamate be banned? It's about as safe as anything ever used. I hear this or that product is worthless and sometimes it's so but often it's due to user ignorance.

For example I found that mixing Glyphosate with distilled water increases it's effectiveness greatly, or adding some adjuvent that changes the ph and buffers the mineral in the local water. Or even changes the ionic charge in some cases.. ED

Reply to
ED

??? I thought I was an expert on weed killers. I've not heard of this. How do you apply? concentration? method? I'm googling this compund next.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

It appears to be entirely a beurocratic political bullshit thing... A directive was produced that said that all pesticides (term apparently includes herbicides!) must have a full set of studies to show safety etc. No one was willing to pay for a new set of tests on animals for ammonium sulphamate. It is a fairly low volume market as a herbicide and isn't being pushed by Monsanto.

It is, apparently, still available as a "compost accelerator", so I'll probably have to look for that in the future.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 20:57:42 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Lew Hartswick quickly quoth:

You must have looked at the gallons of ready-to-use (RTU) RoundUp, lew. I buy quarts of 18% concentrate for $20 at Fred Meyer, Wally World, Grange CoOp (2.5 gal @ 34%), etc. My last purchase was 25% from a local ACE Hardware store called "Weed and Grass Killer".

I much prefer the "instant" RoundUp, which shows browning within hours, works in colder weather, and is rain-proof in half an hour.

-- Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. -- Earl Warren

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 21:00:15 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Lew Hartswick quickly quoth:

Perhaps you could wrap the spray tip in cloth and use that as a dauber to prevent accidental drips.

-- Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. -- Earl Warren

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 23:09:48 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, ED quickly quoth:

It's as dangerous as that horrible diHydrogen Monoxide stuff, which they're sure to ban sometime soon, along with the kitchen knives and guns Over There.

-- Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. -- Earl Warren

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Or add a few drops of deisel fuel as a surfactant. Thenit even kills poison ivy.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

Dosage is very high... up to about 250lb/acre depending on the weed. It works on the plants in a similar way that CO works on us, disrupts nitrogen metabolism. Soil recovers in about three months. Good for clearing poor land of tough weeds before laying a lawn and good for killing tree stumps/horsetail/Japanese knotweed/other nuclear resistant plants. Probably not so good for spraying in an orchard :-)

I might have to go over to undiluted domestic glyphosate.

Mark Rand

Reply to
Mark Rand

Doubt it, the active ingredient for the tablets that it used was sodium chorate. Much desired by the basement bomber types so probably banned from weed-killer duty.

In my younger days, I was in charge of digging them out from the lawn, the tool used was a broomstick with a dandelion digger stuck in the end. Kind of a cross between a spoon and a steel fork(metalworking!), I've seen them at the hardware stores lately, although the handle is only about 6" long. A spare broomstick can fix that. Weed-Be-Gone takes care of the problem on regular lawns, probably wouldn't do strawberries any good, though. Spot application might work.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

The tool I use could easily be home made from a short length of tapered tubing and half inch square tube, see:

got mine for half price and have had to reinforce the main joint. I spear the damndelion and flip the previous core up and into a bucket then into the compost bin. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Try looking for Ammate. You will want to keep it far away from your strawberries.

Some expert on weed killers. Expert, enough, to admit in a public forum to using un-labeled products. You are now trying to harvest that crop in which you used the un-labeld product. Expect, the USDA to show up and shut you down.

Guys like you give the rest of us a bad name. Apparently, deservedly so.