Decorative Iron pieces and welding update!

I located and picked up some pieces at the local foundry here in town. Its all american made and prices are as cheap as anyothers I have seen for import stuff, and they carry the whole she bang load of all kind of decorative pieces and materials. My main concern was in the ability to weld these cast iron pieces to steel tube, and after a trial run I found out they weld up beautiful, and as easy as MIG'ing steel together.

Now my biggest problem is the wife. I liked to have never got her out of that place as the more she saw the more ideas she came up with for me to make things for her. I figure I probably have a good 2 months of work cut out for me on just making what she wants right now.......be a good time to run in a few new tools and such on the deal, like a chop saw or cold cut type saw........or maybe a Metabo 4 1/2" angle grinder, and a bunch of flap wheels etc.....

So far on the job ticket she has is: Walk thru arbor and gate for front walk couple of shepherds hooks wall sconches table and 4 chairs

2 benches railing for back steps another walk through arbor for back gate some trellises brackets to hang plants from railing and gate for front porch

My original plan was to buy one of each casting that I would need for these jobs and to ram them up and use them as a pattern, but for the prices they cost its not worth your time to make em, and instead of my making them with aluminum I can get cast iron or forged steel just as cheap. Oh well it will keep me occupied and keep her happy, so I guess thats all that counts. I'll do all the making of these items, and spray paint the primer and base coat, but its up to her to do all the finish and detail painting. Thats just not my bag.

There is just so many different catings and items in this decorativce iron ball game it boggles the mind.

Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

My main concern was in

Did they tell you it was gray iron, Roy? Sounds a lot like ductile, which is difficult to discern from gray. It welds fine, something I learned long ago when I used to build a large door closing assembly that had ductile iron dogs welded to a cable drum and a gear. It's also great to machine, cuts almost like gray iron.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

All they told me is it was "Cast Iron" american made...........I have to say it really surprised me to weld up like it did. Lots of folks have told me it wll weld up terrible and crack on you really easy unless you use a nickle rod and stick. I used a MIG with carbon wire and 75/25 gas mix like Ernie L. suggested and its just super. I know ductile iron is a lot tougher and not as fragile, so I may find out by the time I am done as I am prone to dropping things anymore so it is only a matter of time until I do.

They must make these castings pretty darn cheap to be able to sell em for what they do. I had planed to use one to replicate the others, but for the price they cost its not worthwhile firing up the furnace for.

The other day the wife bought a cast iron garden hose guide. Its pretty simple gadget. Its a decorative pieceon top of a 3/8" steel rod with a cast iron pulley tpye guide roller. They are place at corners etc so you can pull your hose without it hanging up or tearing up shrubs and flowers etc. She spent $9.95 for it. I got the exact same flower design (rosette type deal) and used two round picket collars to form a guide roller and another cast iron round piece (button) to hold it all together. Tacked on the top rosette piece on the end of the rod stuck on the guide portion and tack welded on the button to hold it all together, and have less than 5 minutes in it in labor, and less than a $1.50 in parts including tax. Now the wife can do her thing on painting them up, as she likes painting things like that. Regards Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

You and me both!

yep.

Reply to
John Smith

Sounds like a great source are they available online?

Reply to
Doug Arthurs

The place I bought my items at is not currently online, but there are a few online that may be in your area. Just beware that a few of these cast iron pieces or forged steel pieces can add up in weight pretty easy so just don;t get taken in by the low prices as shipping can eat your lunch.

King Metals at:

or Lawler Foundry at: