Deep drilling aluminum

wrote:

Yeah, I guess if the control levers all feel right, the springs and spools are likely to be in their proper position and loose.

Prolly so.

Those work great. Large channel locks and a helper to hold the allen can work on tough plugs. But why do stuck bolts and such always happen whenever there's no help around? Murphy again?

Hard lines can limit ya, they can.
-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson
What's that Lassie? You say that Ignoramus4117 fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Wed, 01 Sep 2010 22:50:27 -0500:

If you look at the parameters in your controller, you should find one relating to G83. You should be able to have it do just as you describe. On the controllers that i use, the parameter is called "G83 high speed".
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.
On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 01:07:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net (dan) wrote:

=========I just hacked another cnc utility. This one generates the G-code to "pulse drill" to produce very small/fine chips that will feed up the flutes when deep hole drilling. I placed this in the public domain. see http://mcduffee-associates.us/cnc_related/PULSE.ZIP Uses only the most basic G-codes so should run on most controllers. Down side it is all inline code so the file is long.
User will need to provide the start and end block code and locate the drill over the spot where they want the hole. It is text based but should run on most any version of windows -- no dos box required. User must input a number of items on screen.
Ig -- check your email - I sent you a copy of the zip file as an attachment.
Enjoy -- any suggestions/feedback appreciated.
-- Unka George (George McDuffee) .............................. The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author. The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

George, I unzipped your zip file, it is pretty clever , very nice.
I will try to do the same as a G code subroutine.

If that is happening, you are not feeding fast enough. If you get aggressive, the chips will be a flying, not stringy.

I do not have any cnc machines. But drilling aluminum on a regular drill press, I feed pretty hard and get a stringy chip coming out. When it get as long as I care to have it, I just hesitate on the feed for an instant. This causes the chip to break, and then I feed hard again so the new chip pushes the old chip out of the hole.
So you might try not actually pulling the bit out of the hole. Just stop feeding for about one revolution and then start feeding again.
On steel that does not make stringy chips, I peck and pull the bit out of the work so the chips get out of the hole.
Dan

Dan, I think that your idea is really great. I will write a G code subroutine for it right now.
On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 16:25:07 -0500, Ignoramus4117

You want speed, right?
Gunner

As a side note: If an exact precisely round hole is not absolutely required I've found that often it seems to work faster to use a slightly smaller end mill and make a round pocket rather than to "drill" a hole.

as a side note..I do have (3) brand new gun drill bits in my gear that are up for sale.
And a decent (last time I looked) gun drill with a max debth of about 18"
Id sell them all rather cheaply.
Gunner