Diamond Pastes

Hi

I would like to know how to make abrasive diamond pastes.

These pastes are typically used for polishing metals and metallographic

samples and are generally supplied in syringes as pastes and solutions.

I know it's a long shot but somebody out there might have a recipe.

Any help would be much appreciated.

regards Andrew

Reply to
AndrewK

DIY? Get your wifey's wedding-ring with the big diamond on it, hammer it to dust and add here tears to make a sludge.

You can get them ready made. Got mine from "Eternal Diamonds" (located somewhere in England).

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

In the diamond and lead-crystal businesses, the recipe is quite simple: crush diamonds down to dust, use the dust in olive oil.

I don't think that the exact kind of oil is important, so long as it's thick enough that it will stick to the tool.

The tools are often made of copper, which is soft enough that the diamond particles will embed, with just enough sticking up to cut the workpiece.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Hey Andrew,

Easy enough, but a bit expensive.

Step 1. Buy a diamond mine, preferably one with a good industrial vein in operation.

Step 2. Mine some diamonds.

Step 3. Crush some diamonds to a very fine fine powder.

Step 4. Add the powder to your toothpaste making machine.

AND PRESTO!!

Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

ps.... in Step 4, you could use Mink Oil instead, if you still have funds left over.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Andrew,

There is a prescribed method for making diamond lapping and polishing pastes. This is fully described in THE NEW AMERICAN MACHINIST'S HANDBOOK by McGraw-Hill, 1955 edition.

You would need to lay your hands on scrap industrial diamonds, say from discarded grinding wheel dressers, crush these in a mortar and pestle, dump the diamond dust into a receptacle containing olive oil, and allow the dust to settle for a prescribed period of time.

It's this timing that provides the differing coarseness or fineness of the diamond abrasives.

The handbook describes this in detail. If you cannot get hold of a copy of this book, and you are SERIOUS about rolling your own, let me know and I'll type out the receipe and post it here.

Wolfgang

AndrewK wrote:

Reply to
wfhabicher

I made my own, back when I repaired antique watches and clocks. You can buy commercial diamond dust, in several grades, at rock hobby shops, and some jewellers supply firms. Mix a small amount of the dust with any good grade of oil. The heavy white oil sold in drugstores as a laxative was my choice.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

If you check Ebay or other sources you can find diamond powder of any grit you want. Rather than using olive oil try using vaseline. It is thicker and stays in place better. If you use a ratio by weight of 1/3 diamond and 2/3 vaseline you will a good concentrated product. This mixture stay in place better than the olive oil. Michael

Reply to
Michael

Reply to
1300vtx

Reply to
bamboo

Thanks, Wolfgang

Could you post it please or scan it and email me.

snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk

Merry Xmas.

Andrew

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
AndrewK

Andrew,

I will post asa I get some time. Right now my clients all want their stuff at the same time! Nice problem to have!

Wolfgang

AndrewK wrote:

Reply to
wfhabicher