Small Diameter Hole Guage

Greetings,
I used to own a tool that looked like a large pen/scribe. The Scribe point when "released" would protrude and you could put it into a hole
(for really small diameters) and when the taper on the scribe bottomed out on the hole you could read in a little glass window up on the shaft what diameter the hole was. It has walked away and I have no idea what it's called and all the things I'm trying to call it on the net come up dry. I suspect it's a QC type tool and thought it would be called a hole guage.
Could someone point me in the right direction on this?

Are you refering to a taper gauge? Also tapered plug gauge, or plug gauge? Hav'nt seen the exact style you're talking of, but there are many that work the same way.

You can use a sewing needle for this if you have a micrometer available. I used this method to measure the propane orifice diameter in hand-held propane torches...... .008" dia.
Simply pick an appropriately sized needle, colour it using a marking pen, push into the hole to be measured and rotate the needle one or two turns. This will wipe the colouring off the needle and leave a shiny ring. Measure the needle dia. at the shiny ring using your micrometer. Voila!
Wolfgang
Wheelz wrote:

The one I have is a little over .5" diameter, with a length "closed" of a little less than 5".
Range is .020 to .130"
Markings:
No. 20 KWIK CHEK HOLE GAGE DATCON INSTRUMENT CO.
That's all---no patent dates, address, or anything else.
Bill

Datcon Instrument Corporation is a division of Sterwart Warner.

Wheelz wrote:

Could it be a 'needle hole gage'?
http://www.1gg.com/html/idkwikchek.html
--Winston

That's the same as my "DATCON". Looks like the 20A is the same as my 20.
W-O-W---Darn near $400 new? I think I paid maybe $10 at a second hand store, no one could figure out what it was for. Neat little gauge, I use it more than I thought I would. It starts (.130") where my small hole gauge set ends (.125"). Maybe not quite as accurate as a set of pin gauges, but really quick and close enough for 95% of what I do.
Bill

Hey, nice tools - and pricey too!

Brunswick Engineering in Northbrook, IL. used to have a line of dial gages for reading depth, diameter of tapered holes, chamfers, etc. Someone still makes a couple of these.
Wheelz wrote:

I have one of these, with a dial indicator on it, I think Fowler makes it - if you actually get desparate you could persuade me to sell it to you or trade for something I could use more - they are in catalogs like Enco

a hole gage ,,,. Twist the end to lock them in , then mike them You'll need a setting ring/mike . I mounted a D.T.I. on end . You can get an idea of how round the hole is by forcing/pulling the center part and reading the DTI .
I got some Starrits , long ago , They range .09" ? to .250" maybe .... ----------- also got ENCO .011" to ,500" plug gages , cheap
William Noble wrote:

I'd really like to get ahold of some of the actual Brunswick products. I worked for them while in high school. It'd be a kick to see some of it again.
William Noble wrote:

Thanks for all the replies. It was the "Kwik-Check" tool that I was looking for. Found a few on Ebay.
M Berger wrote:

M Berger wrote:

Could it be Brunswick Instrument now?
http://www.brunswickinstrument.com /
They have purchased our controllers and are very much in business. Very nice people.