Black vs Galvanized Pipe?

I know you are supposed to use black pipe for gas supply. Does anybody know why? What would happened if I used galvanized (1/2in x 12ft run)? Trying to save money. I have a s**load of galvanized fittings and pipe. Thanks for replies.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

From what I've read, or been told, there is a danger of the galvanized coating flaking off and being carried along the gas stream and into the orifices of the machinery that it serves, causing a malfunction of that machinery. Blocked orifices don't provide a very good flame.

Reply to
Gary Brady

The zinc can hide a defect pinhole in the pipe.

Reply to
Tony

Don't take anyone's word for that-----I heard some time ago that galvanized pipe had become acceptable for gas lines. Best to check with the local building department to see what's acceptable in their jurisdiction. You can do it by phone and remain anonymous.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

I, too, have been told zinc will flake and plug the jets. Back in the day, many towns used what was called city gas, made from steam and coal producing hydrogen and carbon monoxide as well as some acids - perhaps this had something to do with the zinc corrosion. I also have been told that some areas prohibit the use of copper and some allowed it. I seem to remember a BIG problem with the solder joints and perhaps the brass in flexible supply lines. The solder would be etched away causing a disastrous leak at times. Hard to know the effects on metal some 20,- 30 years down the road.

Reply to
marlin.cohrs

It is definitely acceptable here on Long Island (in NY state). Check your local utility regulations.

Reply to
ATP*

It might be along the line that any moisture (air and gases have moisture ) does ion migration and causes the brass to become friable. Then they might crack or shatter. Thus dumping a lot of gas into the room or a lazy flame that causes the CO failure...

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Currently BRAZED or flared copper is accepable for gas. Soldered (soft solder) and compression fittings are not. In our area, galvanized is also allowed, and the spring loaded gas valves are not - ball valves only. No Teflon tape on joints - pipe paste only (which MAY be teflon) A few guys still use white lead and a thread.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

International Mechanical Code requires galvanized or painted black pipe for outdoor gas installations. I have installed hundreds of feet of galvanized pipe on roof tops of commercial buildings for roof top heating/AC equipment. No code restricts it's use indoors either. Use the pipe you have and don't worry about it! Be sure to put a drip leg before each appliance to collect any debris in the pipe. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

and, to be safe, spray paint the pipe carrying the gas black so you don't mix up gas and water pipes (that's my understanding of why different pipe was used)

Reply to
William Noble

Here, copper with compression-fittings are allowed.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

When I asked, I was told that years ago the galvinized pipe would flake and that would cause mischief. This however is no longer a problem as the newer galvinized pipe is electroplate zinc and this process does not tend to flake.

What would happened if I used galvanized (1/2in x 12ft run)? Trying

I believe that you can use the galvanized fittings without a problem. To be on the safe side check with your local building department.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I don't know about galvanised pipe but in my experience with nails zinc electroplated nails are a waste of time as the zinc flakes off when the nail is hit unlike hot dipped galvanised nails where the zinc stays put. I would have thought the same might hold true for pipe.

Reply to
David Billington

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 01:31:08 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Harold and Susan Vordos" quickly quoth:

You'll remain anonymous only if you use a neighbor's phone so their caller ID is shown to the codes guy instead of yours.

--- Annoy a politician: Be trustworthy, faithful, and honest! ---

Reply to
Larry Jaques

~x?TÛnÛ0 }ÏWpÀÐ]:?»¶kZ´éÚavé?]?=*2 µEU?ãy_?J?t°=Pêèç7>5z p²4=?,?¥G³ôö?i:?½û?ü?*%jø@Ë ûÐèLïUþT?òn®©-Ñb"Iï­ü)´?O°Dp¢À18cEF(í??F)¬í?^ÅÈJ8XVB?#??ôv?Z«ï??É@+

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Larry Jaques wrote in article ...

Just an FYI....

Quoted from my local telephone directory.....

"All customers in areas where Caller ID services are available have the ability to block the display of their phone numbers and names by dialing

*67. (NOTE that Caller ID blocking does not prevent the transmission of your phone number when you dial 911, or toll-free numbers)"

Of course, you will probably pay a fee for each "*67" - just as you do with a *69 to find out who called you without leaving a message - while others pay a fee to have Caller ID.....so, the phone company wins either way.....

Reply to
*

David Billington wrote in article ...

.....and, electroplate zinc stovepipe starts to rust almost immediately when exposed to the elements.

I was told it wasn't meant for outdoor use, yet I bought a shanty cap - which is meant to keep the rain out - which also started to rust almost immediately.

I have one older piece of hot-dipped stovepipe out there, and after two years it is still a nice dull gray.

Spoke with the owner of the local hardware who sold me the crappy stuff, and he shrugged his shoulders saying it is all crap these days.

I told him if I wanted to buy the crap, I would go to a "Big Box" store and pay less money.

All he was doing was charging me for the good stuff - which I was expecting to be buying from him - and selling me crap.

As a matter of fact, I saw the hot-dipped stuff at one nearby Home Depot for LESS money than he sold me the electro-plated crap for.

Some of these mom 'n' pop operations should read the 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing by Trout and Reis.

One rule is that only ONE company can own any particular word in a given area, and the "Big Box" stores own the word "price", so the locals ought to concentrate on quality, service, or something else instead of trying to compete on price.....because they will fail trying.

Reply to
*

Not here. Only asphalt coated malleable iron pipe in BLACK is permitted for primary gas service.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

No, no fee for blocking the number when caller ID is available. At least not where I live. On rare occasion I've used the function.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Residence or manufacturing facility?