Diamond wheels on a surface grinder

A while back we had a good discussion about the various types of stone wheels that could be used on surface grinders.

I just acquired a Boyar Schults 6-12 surface grinder with a few diamond wheels. I assume that there is no dressing of diamond wheels so what do I watch out for? What metals can I grind; steel, aluminum, bronze? This machine has no coolant, how does that affect things? Are there different types of diamond used for different purposes?

Is there a manual for this machine available online or elsewhere?

Thanks, Pete.

Reply to
Peter Reilley

Machineman

What "Machineman" said!

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Use the diamonds for carbide or ceramic, possibly just honing a HSS tool. Anything softer isn't good for the wheel, as others have already said

With the proper wheels, all of the above, but with out coolant, expect some problems with aluminum. It plugs the wheels nicely, then just burns to a shitty finish.

Expect to have to work slower with hardened steels, and warpage will have to be dealt with. Light cuts, but feed rates not too slow help, too slow and it doesn't seem to do much but dull the abrasive. Proper grade of wheel is important, more so than if there was coolant on it.

Boyar Shultz is a fine little machine, can do very nice work, good tolerances if you're careful with it.

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

Diamond wheels are only good for grinding carbide and will clog up using steel. I like to use a 46 grit ruby wheel for general shop work.

Reply to
TLKALLAM8