Die cutting pressure?

I do a lot of die cutting of 1"x6" HDPE plastic about 60 mills thick. I want to try and cut 5 to 10 pieces out at a time and need to design a multiple die and press. How do I determine the force needed to cut the pieces? I am thinking that a "clicker press" would work but I need to know how much force I need.

Reply to
gtslabs

For an approximate guage, multiply the circumference of the hole by the thickness of the material and multiply that by the absolute tensile strength of the material. For example:

.5 inch dia. hole in .062 inch PVC sheet with a tensile strength of 5000 psi.

punching force in lbs = .5 * 3.14159 * .062 * 5000 = 486 lbs

Hul

gtslabs wrote:

Reply to
Hul Tytus