differnce in hand grinder vibration

i have had issues with RSI (repetitive strain injury) from using a keyboard. this means pain and some numbness in the hands arms and shoulders.

i needed to remove some plaster completely from my basement foundation (this exposes it for waterproofing material). the job is pretty small and i didn't want to spent $400 on a great hand grinder/compressor. so i got the $40 black and decker, one disc, and a heavy duter wire brush type attachment. i powered it up with the heavy wire attachment and my hands staring going numb after less them 1 minutes work! i stopped. then i put on the disc, better, but still no way i could do this for a couple of hours.

so i went to this site and started reading. my question is: is there that big a difference in getting a good air hand grinder (Ingersoll Rand) and wearing vibration gloves? or should i just try and get my contractor to do the work?

btw, i have no problem working with my hands in cases where a vibrating power tool is not involved.

thanks

-- "Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing." -J.H.

Reply to
cporro

One way I have seen done is to clamp the grinder to a two wheel hand truck using hose clamps. You can then run the thing back and forth using the hand truck. This works for floor areas. Not sure what to do for a wall. Randy

[...]

R. Zimmerman

Sue the bastard that made the wire brush!

Rent or borrow a bigger, slower grinder. Lots less vibration and different frequency. I'd be tempted to scrape it off.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Not all grinders have the same amount of vibration, I have three 4.5 inch grinders, and the Bosch has much less vibration.

It may be a case where you need to try the unit in the store before you buy.

But if this is a one time job, maybe it is better to let someone else do it.

Richard

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Richard Ferguson

If it's gypsum plaster then use a 2 1/2" brick bolster at a shallow angle and a 2lb hammer. It'll remove the plaster far faster than a wire brush will and it'll make less dust.

The better made angle grinders tend to have vibration absorbing handles but if you have had recent carpal tunnel syndrome, or suffer from Reynaud's phenomenon (or are on most SSRI anti depressants. DAMHIKT), then they'll get to you anyway.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand