Don't let two people buy stuff for same project!

I believe that everyone has a touch of dyslexia. I'm looking at a shaft timed with a #40 chain and the drive shaft has a 24 tooth sprocket while the driven shaft and idler have 42 tooth sprockets. It doesn't register for a good few minutes but I just know something doesn't look right. And, three other people didn't see it...all the way through assembly. Only when they try to negate that pesky law of physics about two objects not occupying the same space at the same time... Write this down: Timed shafts need the same sprockets! Duhh!

On another note: Hats-off to Senco! They came up with prototype screw guns just for my application. Cool tools, cool people! The guns have a special small nose and carriage to fit in between the obstructions I have and sink the screws all the way into a limited space. They say the application has promise for them to get into corners for other customers. The screws come in plastic strips at 2-1/4 cents each but will save me about 15 seconds of labor per screw. Two of these guns will be mounted in a fixture that the operator will just drop the parts in a jig and hit the button (painted purple for obvious reasons)

And my personal favorite: The new "Steal Workers of 'merica" guy accused me of fake books within the first ten minutes of wage negotiations, and his voice was getting louder and louder as we were almost whispering. The office pool had 20 minutes as the shortest time. My sister was a big-wig in steel companies for over 20 years and is used to this '50s-'60s mentality. Two people we fired for refusing an alcohol test (last time they blew a .32 and a .29 and we sent them to AA) are now taking us to arbitration at a cost of $3k...new union guy's idea. We pointed out that we had already filed with the State Employment and family services that they were fired and not laid off. The union guy wanted us to lie to the State and tell them we were mistaken. He said companies do it all the time. He WAY didn't like my line about people jumping off a bridge all the time. I mentioned "Legal" and "Moral" a few times among his shouting. You would all have been proud of me as I handed him his argumentative ass, however I've made a new enemy...don't care, I'll still rip him a new one without raising my voice above a whisper, and my sister is more than ready for him. I wonder if I can legally record video and sound from these meetings without anyone's knowledge? I'm thinking AFV!

My carpal tunnel guy has spread the word through the plant that he is getting 2.5 Million for pain and suffering. Court in Feb.? And just who are these idiots I see that want to go into business?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Not me ! Been there , done that . I like working for someone else , they get all the head aches and I get to build some really cool stuff . Working right now on a bathroom vanity that resembles one designed by a "famous name" . I love my job ... they pay me to do stuff I like to do !

Reply to
Snag

But the idler isn't timed, so you can swap it and the drive sprocket, yes?

Reply to
glyford
[snip]

It's illegal in many or most states to record without the knowledge (and in many cases, permission) of all present. The exception is police with a warrant.

However, a disclosed but inconspicuous camera may be accepted by all participants as the formal record of the session, which is after all an official meeting. But it may not be a good idea, as it will most likely stilt the session, depriving you of valuable information on true intentions and likely legal arguments.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.dca.giganews.com... | In article , | "Tom Gardner" wrote: | | [snip] | >

| > And my personal favorite: The new "Steal Workers of 'merica" guy accused | > me of fake books within the first ten minutes of wage negotiations, and his | > voice was getting louder and louder as we were almost whispering. The | > office pool had 20 minutes as the shortest time. My sister was a big-wig in | > steel companies for over 20 years and is used to this '50s-'60s mentality. | > Two people we fired for refusing an alcohol test (last time they blew a .32 | > and a .29 and we sent them to AA) are now taking us to arbitration at a cost | > of $3k...new union guy's idea. We pointed out that we had already filed | > with the State Employment and family services that they were fired and not | > laid off. The union guy wanted us to lie to the State and tell them we were | > mistaken. He said companies do it all the time. He WAY didn't like my line | > about people jumping off a bridge all the time. I mentioned "Legal" and | > "Moral" a few times among his shouting. You would all have been proud of me | > as I handed him his argumentative ass, however I've made a new enemy...don't | > care, I'll still rip him a new one without raising my voice above a whisper, | > and my sister is more than ready for him. I wonder if I can legally record | > video and sound from these meetings without anyone's knowledge? I'm | > thinking AFV! | | It's illegal in many or most states to record without the knowledge (and | in many cases, permission) of all present. The exception is police with | a warrant. | | However, a disclosed but inconspicuous camera may be accepted by all | participants as the formal record of the session, which is after all an | official meeting. But it may not be a good idea, as it will most likely | stilt the session, depriving you of valuable information on true | intentions and likely legal arguments. | | Joe Gwinn

I generally tend to agree with you, but by taping the conversation, and getting on record any illegal activity such as a union guy being highly stupid, you now have two wrongs. Afterwards, allowing the target to view select and brief bits of the tape calls him on his actions. I suspect that he doesn't want the tape finding its way into any evidence, so will likely keep his trap shut and work with you. I'm no expert on the legal system, so don't know if this would work, but it always helps to have copies....

Reply to
carl mciver

-- snip --

Now why are our jobs going overseas? I'm So glad that I'm in a profession that's almost entirely union free -- I neither want to be in one nor deal with my employees through one.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

At one time we had 80 people, now I have 12. My entire woodworking department non-worked themselves out of jobs after repeated warnings and training efforts. Costs kept climbing and the union said they were doing their job well enough even though I have 50 years of production records. Guess what, almost all my woodwork is farmed out at substantial cost savings. Hurray for the Union!!! I envision the day I farm-out ALL work.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

You have any stout oak or hickory staves suitable for making JoDo staffs, escrima sticks and so forth? 1.25-1.5" dia and up to 6' long?

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism. As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist

Reply to
Gunner

Some states are "single party" where only one participant need be aware. I believe Nebraska is a single party state but ymmv.

Reply to
StaticsJason

This should serve as a warning for all those who envision more controls, regulations, and costs for "big business."

This activity is still lost on the Europeans and similar ilk, who complain about 10% unemployment and the horrid possibility that they could be employed at will. Unfortunately, the Chinese understand it very well. I think it was New Zealand that discovered the connection not too long ago, but nobody's paid much attention yet, other than the movie industry.

Reply to
carl mciver

Beech is too unstable but how many do you want? My Amish supplier has 2 acres under roof.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I'm waiting for the "Liberal" reply to a reality they'll never quite get.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

IRRC..California is also a Single Party, except on the phone..wired phones

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism. As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist

Reply to
Gunner

How will they be shipped? A bundle 6' long might give UPS etc fits.

Ive been working out a bit with Jodo and Escrima Silat and my staffs and sticks are getting a bit..tired. The best staff is a red oak hex shape..but they are pricy as hell. Those nice sharp edges make some serious impact wounds on a strike.

Yeah..beech will warp in lengths like that. Hence hickory, oak and so forth. Think something suitable for a hiking staff. Hickory heart is probably the best..but its rare and hard to find.

I recall you said you had a shit load of broom handle blanks at one time, probably gone now.

Btw..for our friends in the UK and even here in the US...

Very very effective, good exercise, very suitable for street duty.

And guys our ages..no one pays any attention to a cane. Plus it makes a dandy shooting stick

I have an actual Blackthorne stick that I bring along at times.."when my back is hurting", but I have to go to places that dont allow firearms or knives.

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism. As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist

Reply to
Gunner

Send me specs and qtys. I'll figure out how to ship...maybe my sister can take them on her broom!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Well.... I can't say that all business owners are saints, anymore than all unionists are evil. I have observed that there are just enough a###holes on both side of the barganing table to give each side a bad name. You have just described one on the labor side. I can understand why some people with less skill and training than myself might think they need a union. Imagine you had to work for a 60's type manager.

I guess my point is that it isn't unions or manamgement that's the problem: it's the jerks of the world who use their position of authority, whether it's with the union or the management, that make work relations difficult.

That said, there is one possible way to record your conversations without making a big deal of it. Install video survelance cameras everywhere and post signs. These are so ubiquitous that most people don't even notice them. You need to make sure you are installing them for the purpose of security and not for recording conversations with union officials, but if they are properly identified and they just happen to record something like you describe....

Reply to
Kelly Jones

Depends on the cost. A dozen would be good to go for years, and still make up a few for my Sensi and some other students. 1"- 1 1/8" dia and about 56" long. Longer gets me a bo or some sticks. Bo staffs are typically 6' long and a bit larger on the centers..and tapered from the center each way. Some of the best laminated jo or Bo staffs are made by pool cue makers

It has to be a good hardwood though. From a custom makers site

"premium northern hardwoods ? black cherry, walnut, poplar, white oak, red oak, ash, hickory, maple, birch, basswood and/or exotics ? purpleheart, yellowheart, bloodwood, zebrawood, padauk, wenge, jatoba and bubinga"

Ive been trading training time. I smithed some minor gun work for him, and work with him on ah..Extreme Range Personel Interdiction and handgun combat work. My cane guy..I worked out the same deal with him..but he's out in Phoenix and havent been out there for a while.

Staff work translates very nicely into pool cues at the bar. Properly done..it can put an aggresser on his ass in any condition you wish, from unharmed but bewildered, up to chalk outline.

And old farts like me can do it without having to go through all sorts of gymnastics these old bones cant handle anymore

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism. As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist

Reply to
Gunner

No, not quite. No one could depend stupidity from an ideological perspective, surely. The unin rep you describe is a sad reflection on the union movement - does his boss knows he carries on like this, do the guys on the shop floor know what an idiot they have to represent them - maybe they are the ones who should view the "security camera tapes" as someone suggested. Can you lodge a formal complaint with whoever/whatever the umbrella organisation is that covers the trade union movement. Cause he is not doing his job, and should be replaced with someone who can....

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

We've had the Steal Workers for 30+ years and only a couple of idiots had caused problems over the years. I remember when I was very young and some hotshot accused my dad of cooking the books. No big deal unless you knew my dad. He was the most honest, kind gentle man ever born. He didn't even know how to respond to the guy, he just sat there blinking.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Good points! We plan on asking him if it is Union policy to lie to the state. The Steal Workers also have refused to issue union cards to my people and wont let them into the union pension plan because they are too old. I talked to a lawyer over the weekend, a cousin, and he was appalled and thinks there might be some shenanigans going on. He going to be at the next meeting.

Reply to
Tom Gardner