separating MT

A young fellow at work snapped a 3/4 bit and in the process jammed two sleeves and the bit together. I have tried putting the wedge under a hydraulic press, making a heavy perfectly fitting wedge and driving that with a two pound hammer, and applying heat to the outside of the large Morse taper sleeve ( almost blue). No luck so far. Any other ideas? Randy

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

Penetrating oil. It's surprising how much it will help - the best war story with it was a morse 6 adapter on a morse 5 tool I bought from ebay.. REALLY jammed - tried it first with force like you describe and didn't succeed. Some penetrating oil, some heat, let it soak for a day, and it just came off with quite limited force.. It was clearly visible how the purple oil was on all the inner surfaces of the morse taper..

Best penetrating oil is the liquid penetrant used in non-destructive testing, looking for cracks.. Available in spray cans at welding supply stores - you don't need the developer.

Kristian Ukkonen.

Reply to
Kristian Ukkonen

The drill is toast, so you can destroy what's left of it. Often the shanks are soft. Can you drill and bore out the remainder of the drill's taper?

Are the reduction sleeves hard?

If not then they've probably all spun and galled together. It may well be a write-off, unfortunately.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Scrap it an move on. you could try heating it a little, immersing it in kroil or something similar, but the time you take to do it is worth more than the parts damaged, and even when you get them out they wont be right. ( twisted, bent, gauled)

Education is expensive. Dont learn to much in one day.

John

Reply to
john

Best penetrating oil is the liquid penetrant used in non-destructive testing, looking for cracks.. Available in spray cans at welding supply stores - you don't need the developer.

Kristian Ukkonen.

We have some of that penetrant on hand at work... I will give it a try and leave it for a few days. Randy

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

So, did you get the parts apart?

Reply to