Long term rust protection

I've spent two days pulling my old 16"X120" LeBlond lathe out of the shop to make room for the new (to me) Hardinge CHNC. Got at least one more day of re-organizing. I'm trying to put two lbs. in a one lb. box for my shop. Every time something goes in, the same or more must come out.

I put the old lathe in the barn. No heat, steel roof. The last time I put a machine there I coated it with LPS-3. It has rusted after several years in place. Any suggestions for a more permanent rust protection? I need to spray or squirt it on, it would take forever to brush the whole surface. What about diluting axle grease with mineral spirits, anybody done this?

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I use CorrosionX HD on some really abused things, like some places on my pickup near wheel well, where paint chipped off. After 2 years, no rust where CorrosionX HD was applied, despite being obviously in a very hostile environment.

I also have a 25 lbs jug of Cosmoline for sale (beware, hard to remove).

Ignoramus21248

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 13:46:05 GMT, "Karl Townsend" wrote: Cosmoline

Reply to
ED

Cosmoline is not the answer, I want to be able to use the lathe again without working on it all day.

I've not heard of this corrosion X HD. Is it something to put on lathes ways, etc. and be able to use it later? Note: a lot of surfaces are already greasy or oily.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Cosmoline with a sprayer dluted enough so it will spray. You can paint it on too, but spraying is easier. An undercoat sprayer for cars will work, or make a simple siphon sprayer.

When you decide to reactivate that machine, post again and we'll tell you how to get it off....... Hire some kids and promise them anything :) It is a job to remove it if its been on a long time.

John

Reply to
john

There are many products on the market designed to allow the liquid carrier to evaporate and leave a waxy coating behind. Some of these are accepted by the government for machinery destined for long term indoor storage (used to do this for them for a while).

On the other hand, properly applied cosmoline, with a waterproof tarp, would probably protect your lathe outdoors until your great grandchildren needed it. Taking it apart to clean it properly would be good experience for them. ;)

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

That corrosionX does not seem to become sticky over time.

Ignoramus21248

There are special rust protection oils or better waxes. Contact at oil manufacturer and ask for long time corrosion protection stuff. There are different grades, some promise to protect for years in salty environment.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

I have that same problem (no room) but if you want, I could store that LeBlond for you.. that way it would be getting used and not sitting in a barn rusting. ;)

Mike

Hroller McKnutt Pornstar, Mad Scientist, Genius for Hire Girls chased and caught!

Reply to
Hroller