disassembly of keyless chuck

I've got a drill chuck that's sticky, and would like to disassemble
it. The chuck has a rubberized adjustment ring, and the usual
3/8"-24 threaded mount. There was no difficulty removing
it from the drill (after I realized the retaining screw was Torx-20
and not hexagonal).
It's a 3/8" Jacobs HandTite model, and the Jacobs web site only
gives takeapart instructions for other (keyed and precision) models.
Apparently, the body (in addition to the 3/8-24 thread) has
a Torx-40 engagement region at the bottom of that thread.
Probably the body is held by a Torx wrench while the main
ring is removed.
The main base ring apparently cannot be pressed off (it doesn't
protrude enough), but it seems to be pressed in place on
a knurled body (not threaded).
Could the main ring unthread from the body? Maybe after heating
to soften a threadlock compound? That'd explain the Torx feature
of the body. Why does it look like the body is knurled, wouldn't
that complicate assembly?
Reply to
whit3rd
In my experience, the correct procedure is to throw away the keyless chuck and replace it with a keyed chuck.
David
Reply to
David R. Birch
"David R. Birch" fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@news7.newsguy.com:
Yeah... you'll end up with a lot of scabbed drill bit shanks using that thing. Go to a ball bearing "super chuck", and be done fooling with it for pretty much forever.
LLoyd
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
I agree as well.