Does non flux coated wire go bad?

I have got a small hobart welder. (MIG). For some reason I could not get the machien to weld right, like it did not have enough power. I put new wire on and it worked fine. But, several weeks later whne I went to use the welder again, same thign happened. It has rained alot here. If this is moisture, can I bring the wire back to life?

Reply to
stryped

stryped fired this volley in news:5c155cc8-f5f3- snipped-for-privacy@q8g2000vbm.googlegroups.com:

It's easy, Stryped.

Unroll all of it. Get some lightly oiled 0000 steel wool, and scrub off every bit of corrosion and rust on the wire as you re-roll it.

When you're done, you'll have a nifty $500 roll of welding wire, and all will be right with the world.

Or - just a suggestion - you could treat the welder and its supplies as if they were tools, and not leave them out in the weather.

Me, personally, I remove the spool from the machine after use, baggie the wire, then store it in a my rod oven.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

It's a resistance, . . .errrrr. make that "conductance" thing.

It's easy, Stryped.

Unroll all of it. Get some lightly oiled 0000 steel wool, and scrub off every bit of corrosion and rust on the wire as you re-roll it.

When you're done, you'll have a nifty $500 roll of welding wire, and all will be right with the world.

Or - just a suggestion - you could treat the welder and its supplies as if they were tools, and not leave them out in the weather.

Me, personally, I remove the spool from the machine after use, baggie the wire, then store it in a my rod oven.

LLoyd

Reply to
Robert Swinney

:Xns9D7F8D95D507Blloydspmindspringcom@216.168.3.70...

I did not leave the welder or the wire out in the weather. It has always been in the garage. But the garage I figured has high humidity because the door is cracked most of the time.

What do you mean a 500 dollar role of welding wire?

Reply to
stryped

What's that Lassie? You say that stryped fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Fri, 21 May 2010 10:40:34 -0700 (PDT):

If it's not the wire rusting(is it copper plated?) then it might be corrosion at the contact tip. Try swapping out the copper tip next time it happens.

Or a bad ground.

Reply to
dan

Welding wire can oxidize. Sounds like you should unload the machine and store the wire is a zip lock bag.

I think he means the cost of the wire including the labor. You could make something to spool the wire off one spool and onto another. I kludged up something to spool wire from a 30 lb roll on to 10 lb spools that would work. I am going to have a go at removing the oxidation from some silicon bronze wire that was thrown out because of corrosion.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

stryped fired this volley in news:bdfd3679-3189-483c- snipped-for-privacy@c13g2000vbr.googlegroups.com:

Ok... at your hourly rate, a $5.00 roll of wire.

Do you actually READ any posts, or just delete them and go on to the next inane question?

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Chuckle!