Does the police hassle drivers for driving below speed limits

That Series II Bridgeport mill weighs 5000 lbs, plus or minus. My trailer axles are 6,000 lbs, which means that I will be slightly above the rating.

The easiest way from the seller would be on a highway, which is actually a decently paved highway. In any case, I would like to drive slowly, like 40-45 miles an hour, this way I would get the best of both worlds, safe slow driving and highway quality road.

My question is, how likely will the police be to hassle me for driving too slowly, if, say, the lowest speed limit is 45 and I am going 40.

Reply to
Ignoramus2215

Considering how they ignore granny doing 45 in the left lane barely seeing over the steering wheel, I expect you'd be fine in the far right lane with hazard flashers on paying attention to what you're doing.

You could also rent a two axle equipment trailer from United Rentals or similar for about $60 with ~8,000# of cargo capacity.

Reply to
Pete C.

In my opinion, it depends a lot on what type of highway you're on. Interstate highways typically have a minimum speed of 45, and if you're going slower than that you're creating a considerable traffic hazard, as well as risking a ticket for violating the law. 40mph, with hazard flashers, on a State or U.S. highway, isn't nearly such a problem, since the speeds are typically lower anyway on such routes.

If you're not going to be driving any faster than 40, you don't belong on an interstate highway, or any other high-speed limited access road.

Reply to
Doug Miller

The mill will stay on the trailer for a few days, I cannot use a rental.

Ignoramus2215

Iggy, If you actually read the speed laws, they refer to the maximum SAFE speed, which is not necessarily the max posted speed. These laws do consider circumstances and road conditions. So in your case, if in your judgment, the safe speed is forty and your judgment is justifiable, you should be OK. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

It is Hwy 88, which I think is considered an interstate. I think, I can drive 45 mph without problems.

Ignoramus2215

Looks like you are in the clear, Iggy.

(625 ILCS 5/11?606) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11?606) Sec. 11?606. Minimum speed regulation. (a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic *except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation of his vehicle* or in compliance with law. (b) Whenever the Department, The Illinois State Toll Highway Authority, or a local authority described in Section 11?604 of this Chapter determines, upon the basis of an engineering and traffic investigation concerning a highway or street under its jurisdiction that slow vehicle speeds along any part or zone of such highway or street consistently impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, the Department, the Toll Highway Authority, or local authority (as appropriate) may determine and declare by proper regulation or ordinance a minimum speed limit below which no person shall drive *except when necessary for safe operation of his vehicle* or in compliance with law. A limit so determined and declared becomes effective when appropriate signs giving notice of the limit are erected along such part or zone of the highway or street. (Source: P.A. 81?840.)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Ignoramus2215 wrote in news:0 _idnWca2ZbpIhvWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

A lot will depend upon how many cars/trucks line up behind you.

Travel at "off hours" (while the cops are having their breaks) and you'll have fewer hassles.

If you're only going across town, do it during Rush Hour since nobody'll be able to go over 25 MPH anyway...

Reply to
RAM³

My niece was ticketed for slowing to 50 (in a 65 zone) during a heavy downpour. The cop was a real dick, but he was the one with the gun.

Reply to
rangerssuck

It will be on a Saturday, I do not expect a lot of traffic.

The problem is not only that this mill is heavy, but also that it is TALL and top heavy. This means that any kind of bouncing is amplified big time with more stress on the pintle, etc.

I hate driving with knee mills in this trailer. this one will be third or fourth, noone were nearly as big. The Wells Index was under 3k lbs.

Ignoramus2215

Pull the head and the knee off, that will significantly lower the COG.

I disassembled a Super Max vertical mill (Bridgeport clone) and hauled the smaller chunks up a steep stairway on a two wheel cart. The base had to be winched out of the basement.

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Oops, try the table and head. The knee is pretty chunky.

Reply to
Louis Ohland

IMHO unless you get stuck with a real d*****ad you'll be fine -- the ones that are even remotely smart would rather you drive slow with a load like that. Driving at the speed limit and swaying across several lanes would be more likely to get you pulled over.

As mentioned, if it's an interstate with a minimum speed you may have an issue, but if it's a regular highway and you don't let the traffic build up too much behind you, no intelligent and sane cop will hassle you.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

If I recall, your trailer has a fairly high bed height and relatively small width and length, this is why I suggested a rental equipment trailer since they are lower, dual axle and pretty wide and long. Perhaps consider using a rental and a quick outdoor unloading before the final move into the garage.

Reply to
Pete C.

"Hwy 88" where?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Sorry, the people's republic of Illinois.

Ignoramus2215

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in news:hm6fs1$gff$00$ snipped-for-privacy@news.t-online.com:

Interstate (and some non-Interstate) highways have MINIMUM speed limits in many states.

Reply to
RAM³

Google Illinois Basic Speed Rule

Reply to
Scott

Rent the trailer, put your trailer on the rented trailer, put the mill on your trailer....

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

that was funny