Does the police hassle drivers for driving below speed limits

And the tires - that load rating is NOT a "recommendation".

I believe they changed that - Toyota was tired of getting burned when Motorhome builders flaunted the law by "Re-Rating" the chassis by adding overload springs and funky Siamese dual wheels to a semi-floating axle that couldn't take the extra load.

And/Or the Motorhome builders added a Tag Axle on air springs to carry part of the load, allowing them to stretch the heck out of the chassis - and the owners never checked the pressure in the airbags, rendering it inert and throwing even more weight on the drive axle.

Oh, and no brakes on the tag axles, either.

Then Toyota was left to pick up the pieces when the axles broke under warranty - they shipped a lot of "Free" crated full-floater axle kits for dealer retrofit (with a set of dual rims, tires not included) and that couldn't have been cheap.

Toyota stopped selling Cab Chassis "Incomplete Vehicles" in the US for many years till that law was modified. AIUI, Now if the final manufacturer re-rates it, they are totally responsible for it, warranty and legal liability.

Been there, Done that, checked the air on those tag axles weekly like a religion.

Dad lost the left rear tires on the 84 or 86 Dolphin Motorhome when the axle shaft snapped just outboard of the bearings, and those tires (still bolted to the brake drum) ripped the hell out of the holding tanks and the bathroom floor on their way out the back wall... Then it dropped him on the freeway still going about 45 - fast stop.

We had to get a trailer hitch on the Cressida, rent a box trailer, and go pick up all the contents while the motorhome was in the shop. For almost two months - after they installed the new axle in Barstow, we had to literally duct-tape the body together and limp it to the Dolphin factory in Perris.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Some even carry a spare axle or two.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It would have been impossible not to.

It's on my "no drive" list after that last trip.

Dunno *for sure* but I certainly suspect internal failure. This angle is proabably the one I should have posted first:

Steve Ackman

Front tire? That edge wear looks like a couple of my tires, which were destroyed due to toe-out.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That is one serious tire failure.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If you do get stopped state you are driving slow due to the high center of gravity of the load, If they check weight and you are over the fine could be big! I'm told here in PA it's $3.00 per pound over your GVW of the trailer.

Around here, they have ads on the radio all the time about wearing your seatbelt, "You will be stopped and cited" however speeding, not using turn signals, going through red lights and not having your lights on in a down pour are all ignored.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

"Randy" wrote

If I know Iggy, I am expecting a post any day: Lathe moved and installed. Get r' done, Iggy.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I will post an update on Friday.