Does the police hassle drivers for driving below speed limits

That's when I graduated, too... It was on the books when I learned to drive.

Reply to
Doug Miller

At that point in my life, there wasn't much chance of anyone keeping up to be behind me. ;)

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I drove a 1968 Dodge Dart with a 225 slant six...

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yes their is. The max GVW of the vehicle.

Reply to
clare

Which means it was good for 104 MPH. Still not too many going to be wanting to pass. (my '69 did 104 for an hour straight across the corner of Wyoming)

Reply to
clare

Not in the US. The ratings label on a non commercial vehicle has no legal standing, it is a manufacturer's performance / longevity recommendation only.

Reply to
Pete C.

I take it your speed limits are like ours , they are the highest speed you are legally allowed to drive at in that zone .Any speed below the posted speed limit is legal.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

68 Plymouth Belvedere Sta Wagon with a 318. Dad's Duster that the 225 with 3 on the tree.

Wes

Wes

Back when I had just got home for good from the Marines, a guy just down the road was looking for a follow me driver. He delivered mobile homes. The job interview existed of, how many points do you have on your license. He ended up finding a relative to do the job instead of me. I wasn't all that disappointed.

As to the picture, I'd like to know the facts leading up to the blow out.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

The 318 had just a little more power than the 225... :-)

Reply to
Doug Miller

I think mobile home tires are even more "fragile" than most trailer tires. Many of them are imprinted with something to the effect of "One time use only." I saw one pop going over a flush-with-ground tree stump. Saw another come off the rim as the home was being positioned on a slab.

The trailer (GVWR-6000 lbs.) was purchased new Sept '08, with OEM tires: Duro F78-14ST -- ST205/75D14 with manuf. date of 2706. Load rating of 1760 lbs. @ 50 psi.

Greased bearings and aired to ~52 psig @5000' above sea level. Drove ~2500 miles to destination, checking tire/wheel temperature by hand a couple times a day. (Same trip that we were cop-stopped in Illinois that generated a fairly long thread)

It was on the return trip. Tire pressure checked fine before we left. Still checking tire/wheel temperature by touch at least daily, so no bearing or brake problems.

This would have been on I-40, speed limit 75mph IIRC, and I was doing about 65mph (I hardly ever exceed 65 with trailer, no matter what the limit):

"18 Oct - Shredded tire

Somewhere in OK... maybe around Henrietta, a guy went whizzing past us only to turn around in his seat and make rotational gestures with his hand. Well, that can't be good. There does seem to be a vague, barely audible, flapping noise. Guess we ought to slow down til we get to the next off-ramp."

It was mid-morning, so we hadn't put many miles on the day yet. Total wear on tires - ~6500 miles that we'd put on, added to whatever the delivery to dealer was.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

If you ever looked at a mobile home hauler, they have at least 6 spare tires on board.

I took a trailer into Illinois once. That is an expensive state to cross.

So was it an internal failure or an external puncture? From the weight ratings on tires it obviously was a tandem axle rig.

Wes

Wes

No, not here in Ontario, but they were in Wyoming in 1971.

104 was wide open on the 225 - but it would maintain 104 at half throttle too. My earlier 170 (shorter stroke engine) would do 123MPH all day if I let it.
Reply to
clare

on the tree.

1953 Coronet Sierra Wagon 241 Hemi (3 speed + OD) 1957 Fargo 261 flathead Custom Express - 3 speed 1963 Valiant V100Custom 4 door 170 PB Automatic (Modified - 200+ HP) 1969 Dart Custom 4 door 225 automatic 1974 Dart Sport 225 automatic 1976 RamCXharger SE 4WD automatic - 318 1985 Lebaron T&C wagon - 2.6liter MitsoShitty Hemi automatic 1988 New Yorker 3.0 liter MitsoShitty V6 3 speed automatic 2002 PT Cruiser 2.4L 4 speed automatic
Reply to
clare

In 1968 the 3580 lb Belvedere V8 wagon had 230hp, for 15.56 lb/hp while in 69 the 2550 lb 225 Dart Custom 4 door put out 145 HP for

17.58 lb/HP. So not a REAL BIG performance difference. Something like 13%?
Reply to
clare

It was the old 318 with mechanical lifters. Something 16 year old was more than willing to adjust lash on. Actually, it ran a lot better after I reset valve lash.

Wes

Wes

Wes, I hope that I did not forget if you mentioned it already, but what happened?

Reply to
Ignoramus19261

I drive I-88 every week day and while I've no direct experience, doubt that you will have any trouble from State police so long as your trailer is not weaving or obviously overloaded. Weekends there are always a few folks driving at or slower than the speed limit in the rightmost lanes so you will fit right in with them. Weekdays you'd better be doing 60 in all lanes or will get run over.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

Your toll fees for a pickup with a trailer are excessive. Nothing other than wallet lightening.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

My 68 Dodge Sta Wagon with the newer 318 could do 126MPH @ 6000 rpm (self imposed redline) with the gearing I ran. Crane cam, headman headers, edelbrock tarantula, 4bbl, port work, 3.55 posi, A-727 torqflite.

Got passed by a Ferrari once, caught up to him really quick, he didn't know what to think. I was willing to go faster than he was.

Wes

Reply to
Wes