Does the police hassle drivers for driving below speed limits

Sounds like about $200 likely. Just depends if Barney Fife is working that day or not..............

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

If your truck is like mine, 45 on the speedo is about 42. If you are really poking along at 30, you have no argument. But you have a plausible argument if you say your speedo was reading 45.

Make damn sure tires, hitch, safety chains, tie downs, and Depends are all in place and tight.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Agreed. It's a whiteout. Are they going to ticket everyone who is going under 45? Like I said, I think you only may be guilty if caught.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Google it and print it for Barney.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Use chains and not nylon, unless the heavy 3" wide stuff, then use several and check often.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Where I live, not much of a chance but I live in a low density area. I often do

45MPH down a divided highway so I don't get to work too soon. I'd rather drive just fast enough to get to work on time and listen to my podcasts.

To get to your issue, how much traffic are you going to back up, as have backed up behind you? If your route has a shoulder you can pull over onto to allow those behind you to pass you safely, I doubt you will get any grief.

I've brought a few things home from truck depots that were tall relative to width and drove really slow. As long as I moved over to let people go, no one gets mad, no cop station gets a cell phone call.

Check your six, let them get around you, you should be fine.

Wes

Wes

Based on when I taught at NIU, if you pick the right time of day, you'll never get close to 45 mph...

I-88 is a coin-operated interstate highway that frequently pretends it is a parking lot.

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

Yeah, well try to enforce that in a blizzard. I've had to drive by brail some mornings. Those cuts they put in the highway to vibrate your tires are priceless in snow country.

Wes

Wes

That is why you accept the ticket and show up in court. In my state, we both are likely to have a gun. Kinda nice that way :)

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I've had to go though Ill Noise too many times. You can wear out your brakes just stopping at shakedown booths. Oh, toll booths. I wonder how much of their toll road system was built with federal (you and me) funds?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

The truth is hard, but must be told. The police will hassle you if they do not like your looks, assuming they are not busy doing something else. If you _look_ unsafe, prepare to be pulled over, no matter what the speed limits may be. Your trailer has a common failure point- the tires. You only have two, and you are operating near or over their limits. If anything twitches, you have an interesting situation. You need a different class of equipment. Consider hiring riggers for a couple of hours. They have the right stuff, and will put the mill where you want it in the garage. No drama. As an alternative, you might think about renting an "escalator" trailer. Keeps the COG low, and makes it easier to get the mill off, so you can take the trailer back.

Worth what it costs.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

The point about single axle is important, if you get a flat with that high COG load, the whole thing is going over and it won't be pretty.

The $60 dual axle equipment trailer that normally carries Bobcats, trenchers, etc. is a much safer option. You can probably get a discount rate for a weekend rental as well.

Reply to
Pete C.

e both are likely

You can carry in a courtroom?

Reply to
rangerssuck

If they pull you over they'll also be looking at your weight (are you obviuously overloaded) and whether the load is adequately restrained. If not, $200 might be small change.

Reply to
clare

-------------------------------------------------------------- Home Page:

If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes Doubt yourself, and the real world will eat you alive The world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around me No skeletons in the closet; just decomposing corpses

-------------------------------------------------------------- Dependence is Vulnerability:

-------------------------------------------------------------- "Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal" "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.."

Reply to
JR North

Indiana has a law requiring a driver to move over and allow vehicles to pass if he's obstructing more than *three*.

Hardly anyone knows this.

Including the police. :-(

Reply to
Doug Miller

I did not even know it, but I always do it, if I have to drive slow on a two lane road, I always pull over from time to time.

Ignoramus2215

Not a chance.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

It is not against the law to travel slower than the posted speed limit if you have a reason for doing so, even in places that have minimum limits. Common sense prevails that if you know you have a squirrelly load you should avoid peek traffic times.

If you do get stopped and asked why you were going slower, tell the officer that you felt it prudent not to push the limits of the vehicle given that you have a bigger than normal load, and you would prefer not to have to make a panic stop. Worst case is the moron gives you a ticket for going too slow and then you can take it up with the judge. But that is not likely to happen.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

My niece was ticketed for slowing to 50 (in a 65 zone) during a heavy downpour. The cop was a real dick, but he was the one with the gun.

I would have fun in court with this ticket.

Officer would you describe the weather at the time as being clear and dry?

Would you describe the conditions as a light mist with but bright and good visibility?

Would you describe the conditions as a light gentile rain?

Really it was rather blustery and the rain was rather heavy right?

Would a prudent driver be expected to slow down if they felt conditions were less than optimal?

Etc.

Pay the ticket and the guy is probably going to continue to be a dick.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf