Does the police hassle drivers for driving below speed limits

This is a good point the maximum is the lesser of the rating of the tires or the axel. if the tires are not rated for 3,000 lbs. each then your weight limit will be the rating of the tires.

The weight of the tires are excluded from the calculation however. (2 times each rating)

The wheels also have a maximum safe load, and if the wheels are rated lower than the axel or the tires then you are over weight.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

When I bought my trailer 2 years ago, I bought a brand new Al-Ko 6,000 lb axle, with everything else including suspension, brakes, wheels, and tires. The tires are still quite good, since I do not use this trailer often.

Ignoramus27062

I do not know what I was thinking about, I meant to say "built my trailer".

Ignoramus27062

Tires age, even if not being used, best to inspect them carefully. Also best to validate the load rating of the tire printed on the sidewall, not assume it was selected properly.

Again, with that high COG load, if you get a flat on your single axle trailer, 95% probability the whole thing will go over. If this happens at even 45 MPH it will be even less pretty. Also, with the high COG load, even slow turns will be putting a lot more than 3,000# load on the outside tire during the turn.

Be sure you have a camera with you to take before and after pictures...

Reply to
Pete C.

Reduce your odds of problems -- get a BIG bumper sticker "OBAMA 08".

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Iggy said height was an issue. Trailer plus trailer plus lathe = more height problems.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's like the Aesop fable about the man and the bag of grain on a donkey. Someone came by, and gave him a rebuke about all that weight on the donkey. So, the old man shrugged, and hefted the bag of grain onto his own shoulders and kept riding.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's close to what I was thinking. Stay far right when ever possible. People will see that you're hauling a load, and should be fairly polite.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Tires that are rated for, say, 3,000 lbs do not magically burst at

3,001 lbs load.

It has a high COG, but not really that high, if I lower the knee.

It is supported by a triangle of two tires and the pintle.

I am not really claiming to be an expert, but, I think, I will be fine.

The seller told me today that according to his findings, it weighs

3,000 lbs and not 5,000. I am not sure what to believe, but, I think that I will be OK in any case. i
Reply to
Ignoramus27062

That's really a good question; go in the off hours and risk some transport truck or whoever plowing right into your backside (no one drives at posted speed)- look at the number of fatalities when someone has car trouble in the off hours

Reply to
raamman

No, but a high COG load on a curve or turn applies substantially more or the weight to the outside tire vs. the static loading. If you're loaded up with 3,000# static load, it would not be at all unlikely for that outside tire to see 5,000# or load on a modest turn.

What is the track width of the trailer? Is it the max 8' and change, or less? The smaller the track width, the more dramatic the effect.

The pintle is the pivot point and provides no support side to side. The pintle is where it will pivot when it tips over when you get a flat.

You may be fine, but you are pushing it near the limits so you have little safety margin. A good pothole could do you in.

Since a basic series 1 weighs over 2,000#, I find it very difficult to believe the much larger series 2 plus CNC controls and servos weighs anywhere near 3,000#. 5,000# may be a bit over, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it weighs 4,500#+.

Like I said, bring a camera for before pictures to show the mill properly secured, and any after pictures...

Reply to
Pete C.

This depends severely on how sharp (speed vs. radius) is the turn, which is something under my control.

It is not 8 feet, but I think a little over 6 feet.

Yes, but not from a flat tire.

I agree. It is close to the limit.

I will indeed do so.

Ignoramus27062

All I can say is that I'd be a lot more comfortable with a dual axle

8.5' wide rental equipment trailer.
Reply to
Pete C.

Whether or not you are driving at 40 in a 45 minimum, if you look like an overloaded, unsafe trailer, you will be treated like an overloaded, unsafe trailer - when they get the cop with the scales in and if they find you are actually overweight, expect the book to be thrown at you.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Except for the fact that there is no "weight book" for non-commercial vehicles...

Reply to
Pete C.

I have never seen any mexicans with their overloaded trucks and trailers, stopped.

Ignoramus27062

As it happens, there often is. Illinois is one of many states where trailers have a registration fee that varies by weight. Commercial or not is not a consideration. It's certainly quite common for non-commercial trailers to have a registered weight, and to be in violation if exceeding that registered weight.

Exceeding the GVWR and GCWR is pretty much a violation anywhere - if nothing else it's easily parked under "driving to endanger" because the braking systems are not adequate to the load. Who and what actually gets stopped varies with the cop and the level of revenue enhancment in effect. The latter has been quite high the past year, as towns and state departments try to milk the "alternate tax stream" of fines.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Is that a new law or a fairly old law? I left Indiana in 1975 for good, days after graduating highschool.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Most tires go flat slowly.

I doubt a weight rating on a tire is based on only straight and level travel. I wonder what a pothole feels like to the tire loaded to 3000#?

I would not use age cracked tires, I'd stop to feel wheel bearings, and I'd plan a route that had no challenging terrain to traverse.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Trailer tires don't seem to follow that rule as often as auto tires. This one sure didn't:

Steve Ackman