Dremel (rotary tool) for righthanders?

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 18:27:50 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, John Doe quickly quoth:

The most fun I had with my quadradexterity was to pick up a friend's dropped cigarette between my toes, put it to my mouth, take a drag, and then "foot" it to him. That was a long while back. I haven't smoked in 17 years and it was way before that. Of course, back then I was nimble enough that I could put either foot (or both) behind my head. The benefits of Yoga!

I practice my ambidexterity by scrambling eggs in a bowl. I'm nearly as fast with the right fork as I am with the left now. Being able to use both hands came in very handy threading nuts and bolts in so many blind places, such as exhaust manifolds, underdashes, inside doors, etc.

I recently impressed a new girlfriend by tying a cherry stem into a knot in my mouth with my tongue. Girls love that one.

- - - Brain cells come and brain cells go, but fat cells live forever. ---

See our NoteSHADES(tm) privacy/glare guards

Reply to
ljaques

replying to John Doe, earth3rd wrote: I have noticed it myself. I'm a retired tool and die maker and all my hand grinders (air) spun the other way. I was just looking for a reverse button on mine. I guess we are screwed.

Reply to
earth3rd

You can open up the Dremel and swap the two brush wires to get it to rotate CCW -- but this may increase the chances of the collet unscrewing.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

All air driven die grinders turn CW from the users perspective. All die grinder burrs are intended for CW rotation. Why would a Dremel turn the other way? There's something fishy here....

Reply to
Phil Kangas

All the ones I've seen do (that's how you want 'em for a right hand twist drill). But, it means a lot of accurate grinder-cutoff operations fling sparks onto my best full-face-shield.

You want the cutter to push the work into a fixed item (a fence); you can't see through the fence, so holding a Dremel in your right hand, and with the work on a table with nothing blocking your view, there's NO fence there. If the wheel spun CCW instead of CW, you could view the cut and the wheel would push the work back against a fence without blocking the view.

And the full-face-mask would accumulate fewer flyspecks.

Reply to
whit3rd

I did this to a clone and it sortof worked. The collet did not unscrew, but the motor was not quiet and may not have been as powerful. I think it may have been either or both of the

a) brushes having developed a profile matched to the armature that got messed up when they were reversed;

b) the motor may be timed to favour one direction.

Reply to
unk

And prone to overheating.

Reply to
Leon

and burn little holes in my shirt, not to mention the smell of singed chest hair; maybe not so much with dremel, but getting there.

Reply to
Gerry